Jan 15, 2013, 9:30 AM EST
Daniel Briere had a wrist injury when the lockout ended and he returned from his time with the Berlin Polar Bears.
Originally the severity and specifics of the ailment were unclear, but now we know that Briere is recovering from a hairline fracture, according to CSN Philly.
It was initially speculated that he had no worst than a bone bruise, but the news is actually mostly positive for Flyers fans.
“The injury showed it’s a little further along in a good way than what we had initially anticipated,” Philadelphia GM Paul Holmgren said.
“We’ll see how he is tomorrow and the next day. It probably changes at least my thoughts about him being out an extended period of time. It might not be as long as we initially thought.”
The 35-year-old forward was previously questionable for the season opener.
Briere put up disappointing numbers in 2011-12, but he bounced back in a big way during the playoffs.
The Philadelphia Flyers will open the shortened season with a game against the Pittsburgh Penguins at 3:00 p.m. ET on Saturday. The match will be part of NBC’s opening day coverage.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (56)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)