Jan 15, 2013, 9:30 AM EST
Daniel Briere had a wrist injury when the lockout ended and he returned from his time with the Berlin Polar Bears.
Originally the severity and specifics of the ailment were unclear, but now we know that Briere is recovering from a hairline fracture, according to CSN Philly.
It was initially speculated that he had no worst than a bone bruise, but the news is actually mostly positive for Flyers fans.
“The injury showed it’s a little further along in a good way than what we had initially anticipated,” Philadelphia GM Paul Holmgren said.
“We’ll see how he is tomorrow and the next day. It probably changes at least my thoughts about him being out an extended period of time. It might not be as long as we initially thought.”
The 35-year-old forward was previously questionable for the season opener.
Briere put up disappointing numbers in 2011-12, but he bounced back in a big way during the playoffs.
The Philadelphia Flyers will open the shortened season with a game against the Pittsburgh Penguins at 3:00 p.m. ET on Saturday. The match will be part of NBC’s opening day coverage.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 10
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 26
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 78
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)