Jan 15, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
Daniel Briere had a wrist injury when the lockout ended and he returned from his time with the Berlin Polar Bears.
Originally the severity and specifics of the ailment were unclear, but now we know that Briere is recovering from a hairline fracture, according to CSN Philly.
It was initially speculated that he had no worst than a bone bruise, but the news is actually mostly positive for Flyers fans.
“The injury showed it’s a little further along in a good way than what we had initially anticipated,” Philadelphia GM Paul Holmgren said.
“We’ll see how he is tomorrow and the next day. It probably changes at least my thoughts about him being out an extended period of time. It might not be as long as we initially thought.”
The 35-year-old forward was previously questionable for the season opener.
Briere put up disappointing numbers in 2011-12, but he bounced back in a big way during the playoffs.
The Philadelphia Flyers will open the shortened season with a game against the Pittsburgh Penguins at 3:00 p.m. ET on Saturday. The match will be part of NBC’s opening day coverage.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 15
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 26
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)