Jan 15, 2013, 10:58 AM EDT
The KHL has rejected Lubomir Visnovsky’s request to continue playing for HC Slovan while still under contract with the New York Islanders. However, there remains a chance the 36-year-old defenseman will still get his way.
In declining Visnovsky’s request, the KHL cited the agreement it has with the NHL to honor each other’s contracts.
But the KHL also cited a part of the agreement that allowed for a negotiated compromise to be struck between the leagues.
Whether the Islanders are willing to consider such a compromise is unclear at this point.
Visnovsky’s agent has said his client will play for the Islanders if he has to.
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 11
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 12
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 18
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 67
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 97
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 20
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (98)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger