Jan 15, 2013, 10:58 AM EST
The KHL has rejected Lubomir Visnovsky’s request to continue playing for HC Slovan while still under contract with the New York Islanders. However, there remains a chance the 36-year-old defenseman will still get his way.
In declining Visnovsky’s request, the KHL cited the agreement it has with the NHL to honor each other’s contracts.
But the KHL also cited a part of the agreement that allowed for a negotiated compromise to be struck between the leagues.
Whether the Islanders are willing to consider such a compromise is unclear at this point.
Visnovsky’s agent has said his client will play for the Islanders if he has to.
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 5
- Video: Tom Wilson gets tossed for charging Brayden Schenn 43
- Video: Kyle Quincey ejected for boarding Ryan Getzlaf 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Third time’s the charm for Flyers vs Capitals? 8
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head 71
- Potter suspended two games for boarding Bonino 3
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension 107
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver 100
- Pittsburgh’s special teams have been pretty good; Florida’s not so much 3
- Flyers blow 4-1 lead, Caps win in shootout 25
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (122)
- Bylsma: Neal needs to learn from Marchand hit (114)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (100)