Jan 15, 2013, 10:58 AM EST
The KHL has rejected Lubomir Visnovsky’s request to continue playing for HC Slovan while still under contract with the New York Islanders. However, there remains a chance the 36-year-old defenseman will still get his way.
In declining Visnovsky’s request, the KHL cited the agreement it has with the NHL to honor each other’s contracts.
But the KHL also cited a part of the agreement that allowed for a negotiated compromise to be struck between the leagues.
Whether the Islanders are willing to consider such a compromise is unclear at this point.
Visnovsky’s agent has said his client will play for the Islanders if he has to.
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 36
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)