Jan 15, 2013, 12:33 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres will likely be without one of their speediest forwards to start the year.
Nathan Gerbe — the diminutive 5-foot-5 winger — hasn’t been cleared for contact after undergoing neck/back surgery, and could begin the season on injured reserve.
Here’s more, from the Buffalo News:
After taking a hit from behind into the boards in December 2011 from Philadelphia’s Marc-Andre Bourdon, the short-term impact for Gerbe was a concussion. As it turns out, things got much worse.
Gerbe dealt with neck and back issues that never improved, and it was discovered he had disc damage in his back. He had surgery July 24 — the day he turned 25 — and it was done by Dr. Andrew Cappuccino, the orthopedic surgeon who treated former Bills tight end Kevin Everett for his catastrophic spine injury suffered in 2007.
“Very scary,” he said. “That was the first time I’ve ever had surgery. First surgery I’ve ever had was on my spine, so I was pretty nervous about it. You don’t know how you’re body is going to be. Everyone involved has done a great job keeping me intact and pushing me along. When you’re messing around with your spine and nerves, anything can go wrong.”
Gerbe has been skating for a while on his own and only joined his teammates this week. He’s hoping to returning to the form of his breakout 2010-11 campaign, when he scored 16G-15A-31PTS in 64 games.
“I need to be comfortable and confident that I can turn and I can go hit guys,” he explained. “It’s hard to say that now. I just got to see how the week goes and how my body reacts.”
Mar 11, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
The contest featured his former team the Saginaw Spirit.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
The 20-year-old had been missing since March 3.
Mar 11, 2014, 7:49 PM EDT
On the bright side, there’s the Batmobile.
Mar 11, 2014, 7:19 PM EDT
The Pens have won seven in a row vs. Washington, including Monday.
Mar 11, 2014, 5:33 PM EDT
Because there’s a really good chance they will.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:56 PM EDT
Big development for the ‘Hawks.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT
Click for the details.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Mar 11, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
“We played well in the first game, but then it all disappeared.”
Mar 11, 2014, 3:49 PM EDT
The sons of George and Brian, respectively.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
Whether he does or not will impact the Flyers’ roster.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:41 PM EDT
A big defenseman from Lake Superior State.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:18 PM EDT
Burly power forward’s in the midst of a disappointing season.
Mar 11, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
“It’s great to have him around,” said Wild head coach Mike Yeo.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT
Dallas GM Jim Nill also released a statement.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:38 PM EDT
“We need to take this one, especially if there’s a four-point swing,” says d-man Brendan Smith.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
Rough season for him, to say the least.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT
Suffered third straight loss on Monday night vs. Toronto.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT
“The fans won’t have it. The players won’t have it. And even if you hire a new GM, there is no way he’ll have it.”
Mar 11, 2014, 10:52 AM EDT
He thinks the Panthers have a shot at winning the Stanley Cup before he retires.
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 6
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 2
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 13
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 54
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (68)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)