Jan 15, 2013, 12:33 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres will likely be without one of their speediest forwards to start the year.
Nathan Gerbe — the diminutive 5-foot-5 winger — hasn’t been cleared for contact after undergoing neck/back surgery, and could begin the season on injured reserve.
Here’s more, from the Buffalo News:
After taking a hit from behind into the boards in December 2011 from Philadelphia’s Marc-Andre Bourdon, the short-term impact for Gerbe was a concussion. As it turns out, things got much worse.
Gerbe dealt with neck and back issues that never improved, and it was discovered he had disc damage in his back. He had surgery July 24 — the day he turned 25 — and it was done by Dr. Andrew Cappuccino, the orthopedic surgeon who treated former Bills tight end Kevin Everett for his catastrophic spine injury suffered in 2007.
“Very scary,” he said. “That was the first time I’ve ever had surgery. First surgery I’ve ever had was on my spine, so I was pretty nervous about it. You don’t know how you’re body is going to be. Everyone involved has done a great job keeping me intact and pushing me along. When you’re messing around with your spine and nerves, anything can go wrong.”
Gerbe has been skating for a while on his own and only joined his teammates this week. He’s hoping to returning to the form of his breakout 2010-11 campaign, when he scored 16G-15A-31PTS in 64 games.
“I need to be comfortable and confident that I can turn and I can go hit guys,” he explained. “It’s hard to say that now. I just got to see how the week goes and how my body reacts.”
May 23, 2013, 12:21 PM EDT
It would cost them $24 million over 14 years.
May 23, 2013, 11:36 AM EDT
Cue the buyout speculation.
May 23, 2013, 11:34 AM EDT
Will he be challenging Ryan Miller for it?
May 23, 2013, 11:09 AM EDT
The home of the Oilers’ AHL affiliate.
May 23, 2013, 10:54 AM EDT
He’s frustrated nothing got done in Calgary.
May 23, 2013, 10:45 AM EDT
The big unveiling will be on June 4.
May 23, 2013, 10:37 AM EDT
He constructed the silver medal-winning team at the 2010 games in Vancouver.
May 23, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
“It’s been pretty quiet for a while now.”
May 23, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
“(Gillis’) fault all the way.”
May 23, 2013, 8:02 AM EDT
Additionally, Chicago will play Detroit and the Kings will host the Sharks.
May 23, 2013, 7:13 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links
May 23, 2013, 12:50 AM EDT
They rank first and second in shorthanded goals in the 2013 playoffs.
May 23, 2013, 12:14 AM EDT
It initially made it look like he suffered an injury.
May 22, 2013, 11:40 PM EDT
Trent Whitfield has now been on the wrong end of history twice.
May 22, 2013, 10:59 PM EDT
John Tortorella would be proud.
May 22, 2013, 10:42 PM EDT
The Penguins “have too much depth.”
May 22, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT
Ottawa’s strong first period was wasted.
May 22, 2013, 9:02 PM EDT
He’s been reaching out to agents and players.
May 22, 2013, 8:20 PM EDT
Mike Halford and Jason Brough tackle that question.
May 22, 2013, 7:58 PM EDT
He also wants to express his gratitude to the Vancouver Canucks.
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 0
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 17
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 16
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 16
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 19
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 69
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 101
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 20
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement