Buffalo’s Gerbe not cleared for contact, could start season on IR

Jan 15, 2013, 12:33 PM EDT

Nathan Gerbe Getty Images

The Buffalo Sabres will likely be without one of their speediest forwards to start the year.

Nathan Gerbe — the diminutive 5-foot-5 winger — hasn’t been cleared for contact after undergoing neck/back surgery, and could begin the season on injured reserve.

Here’s more, from the Buffalo News:

After taking a hit from behind into the boards in December 2011 from Philadelphia’s Marc-Andre Bourdon, the short-term impact for Gerbe was a concussion. As it turns out, things got much worse.

Gerbe dealt with neck and back issues that never improved, and it was discovered he had disc damage in his back. He had surgery July 24 — the day he turned 25 — and it was done by Dr. Andrew Cappuccino, the orthopedic surgeon who treated former Bills tight end Kevin Everett for his catastrophic spine injury suffered in 2007.

“Very scary,” he said. “That was the first time I’ve ever had surgery. First surgery I’ve ever had was on my spine, so I was pretty nervous about it. You don’t know how you’re body is going to be. Everyone involved has done a great job keeping me intact and pushing me along. When you’re messing around with your spine and nerves, anything can go wrong.”

Gerbe has been skating for a while on his own and only joined his teammates this week. He’s hoping to returning to the form of his breakout 2010-11 campaign, when he scored 16G-15A-31PTS in 64 games.

“I need to be comfortable and confident that I can turn and I can go hit guys,” he explained. “It’s hard to say that now. I just got to see how the week goes and how my body reacts.”

Latest Posts
  1. Ward’s agent makes it (very) clear that Washington is his first choice

May 27, 2015, 11:20 AM EDT

New York Rangers v Washington Capitals - Game Six Getty Images

“Our door is open for the Capitals, absolutely first and foremost.”

2. ‘Very quiet’ on Derek Roy-Edmonton front, says agent

May 27, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT

Edmonton Oilers v Pittsburgh Penguins Getty Images

Veteran center enjoyed something of a career revival with the Oilers last season.

3. Blackhawks’ Teravainen: ‘I’m living my dream’

May 27, 2015, 10:33 AM EDT

Chicago Blackhawks v Anaheim Ducks - Game Five Getty Images

Chicago fans are hoping that dream includes a Game 6 win.

4. So much for Rick Nash’s slump

May 27, 2015, 9:35 AM EDT

150527-Rick-Nash Getty Images

Give some credit to his linemates, including “energizer bunny” J.T. Miller.

5. Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7

May 27, 2015, 12:59 AM EDT

Henrik Lundqvist Getty Images

Almost completely shut the door through two periods.

6. TVR time? Quenneville hints at changes on defense for Game 6

May 26, 2015, 10:29 PM EDT

Getty Images

Timonen is averaging under 10 minutes of ice time per game in playoffs.

7. Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save

May 26, 2015, 9:16 PM EDT

Getty Images

New York scored to make it 2-0 soon after that.

8. Video: Brassard opens scoring for Rangers in Game 6

May 26, 2015, 8:52 PM EDT

AP

New York needs the win to force Game 7.

9. No NHL-first offer has been made for Seattle arena, says Hansen

May 26, 2015, 8:13 PM EDT

Chris Hansen AP

“We’ve had a lot of informal discussions with people about this, but us or the city have yet to be presented with any kind of offer.”

10. Holland to meet with Blashill this week, hasn’t expanded candidate list

May 26, 2015, 6:29 PM EDT

Colorado Avalanche v Detroit Red Wings Getty Images

“I’ve had some people reach out to me,” the Red Wings GM said.

11. Hitch has ‘unfinished business’ with the Blues

May 26, 2015, 5:24 PM EDT

Ken Hitchcock AP

Meanwhile, GM Doug Armstrong says, “Show me a well-liked coach, and I’ll show you a losing coach.”

12. Wild reporter pegs Dubnyk deal at ‘well north of $3 million per’

May 26, 2015, 4:31 PM EDT

Devan Dubnyk AP

Michael Russo of the StarTribune being the reporter.

13. Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking

May 26, 2015, 3:55 PM EDT

2011 NHL Entry Draft - Rounds 2-7 2011 NHL Entry Draft - Rounds 2-7

“The Flyers have never intentionally tried to lose. That would put a foul taste in my mouth. “

End of an era coming for Blackhawks?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches