Jan 15, 2013, 2:04 PM EDT
Veteran NHL defenseman Colin White will be at St. Louis training camp on a tryout basis, according to the Blues website.
White, 35, spent last season with the San Jose Sharks, appearing in 54 games while registering 1G-3A-4PTS and averaging just under 15 minutes per game. He also appeared in three of San Jose’s five opening-round playoff games (against St. Louis, oddly enough.)
White’s best years came with New Jersey in the early parts of the 2K era. He won a Stanley Cup in his rookie season (1999-2000) and a second in 2002-03, when he averaged over 22 minutes per playoff game.
It’s not surprising the Blues wanted to add some defensive depth heading into camp. They’re currently rolling with a six-man rotation (Barret Jackman, Kevin Shattenkirk, Alex Pietrangelo, Roman Polak, Kris Russell, Ian Cole) with Jeff Woywitka on a two-way deal.
Also in the blueline mix are Taylor Chorney, Cade Fairchild and Mark Cundari, who were recently recalled from AHL Peoria.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 11
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)