Jan 15, 2013, 2:04 PM EDT
Veteran NHL defenseman Colin White will be at St. Louis training camp on a tryout basis, according to the Blues website.
White, 35, spent last season with the San Jose Sharks, appearing in 54 games while registering 1G-3A-4PTS and averaging just under 15 minutes per game. He also appeared in three of San Jose’s five opening-round playoff games (against St. Louis, oddly enough.)
White’s best years came with New Jersey in the early parts of the 2K era. He won a Stanley Cup in his rookie season (1999-2000) and a second in 2002-03, when he averaged over 22 minutes per playoff game.
It’s not surprising the Blues wanted to add some defensive depth heading into camp. They’re currently rolling with a six-man rotation (Barret Jackman, Kevin Shattenkirk, Alex Pietrangelo, Roman Polak, Kris Russell, Ian Cole) with Jeff Woywitka on a two-way deal.
Also in the blueline mix are Taylor Chorney, Cade Fairchild and Mark Cundari, who were recently recalled from AHL Peoria.
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 19
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 17
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 17
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 13
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 30
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)