Jan 15, 2013, 10:15 PM EST
The AHL will pull the plug on this season’s hybrid icing testing on Thursday, but it’s not because of poor results. Instead, the AHL explains that it wants to stay consistent with the NHL’s rules since some players will bounce between the two leagues.
“We believe that 564 games has been a sufficient test period for ‘hybrid icing’ and that the application of the rule has been positive for the most part,” AHL president David Andrews said. “But because we have more than 300 players recalled to the National Hockey League each season, it is our view that these players should have the benefit of a consistent application of the icing rule in both the AHL and NHL.”
For some – especially those rendered queasy thanks to icing race related injuries suffered by the likes of Taylor Fedun and Kurtis Foster – this might serve as a disappointment. What if the NHL wants a full season of data before going forward with any tweaks?
Still, the AHL has been consistent about these plans, noting in November that it would go forward with the trial period while the lockout continued.
What’s your take on the rules? Should they stay the same in the NHL, switch to the hybrid setup or go all the way with no-touch icing?
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 16
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 61
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (62)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)