Vokoun: There won’t be a goaltending controversy

Jan 14, 2013, 10:11 PM EST

Tomas Vokoun, Jeff Skinner AP

The Pittsburgh Penguins have two viable starters in Tomas Vokoun and Marc-Andre Fleury, but there is no question who is the top goaltender going into the season.

“Marc is our No. 1,” Penguins coach Dan Bylsma said in a Pittsburgh Tribune-Review report. “He is in for our first game.”

That news isn’t shocking to Vokoun, who signed a two-year, $4 million deal with Pittsburgh after they acquired his rights from Washington.

“Listen,” Vokoun said. “There is never going to be a controversy. With all due respect to the fans — and I know Pittsburgh has great fans — they do not dictate who is playing.

“It‘s simple to me. I just need to be available to play whenever they need me. And I‘m OK with that. We have a coach, and he says who will play. And that‘s the way it should be.”

Vokoun added that he knew exactly what he was signing himself up for. He’s tied for 24th place in the NHL history books with 680 games played as a goaltender and probably could have found a starting gig elsewhere. However, he’s 36 years old and what he really wants is a shot at the Stanley Cup.

“Marc shouldn’t feel (threatened),” Vokoun said. “He‘s a great goalie. I’ve had great relationships with other goalies everywhere I‘ve been. I just want to be part of a winner, no matter how much I play.”