Jan 14, 2013, 10:11 PM EDT
“Marc is our No. 1,” Penguins coach Dan Bylsma said in a Pittsburgh Tribune-Review report. “He is in for our first game.”
That news isn’t shocking to Vokoun, who signed a two-year, $4 million deal with Pittsburgh after they acquired his rights from Washington.
“Listen,” Vokoun said. “There is never going to be a controversy. With all due respect to the fans — and I know Pittsburgh has great fans — they do not dictate who is playing.
“It‘s simple to me. I just need to be available to play whenever they need me. And I‘m OK with that. We have a coach, and he says who will play. And that‘s the way it should be.”
Vokoun added that he knew exactly what he was signing himself up for. He’s tied for 24th place in the NHL history books with 680 games played as a goaltender and probably could have found a starting gig elsewhere. However, he’s 36 years old and what he really wants is a shot at the Stanley Cup.
“Marc shouldn’t feel (threatened),” Vokoun said. “He‘s a great goalie. I’ve had great relationships with other goalies everywhere I‘ve been. I just want to be part of a winner, no matter how much I play.”
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)