Jan 14, 2013, 10:39 AM EDT
Visnovsky won’t join the Islanders Monday morning due to “personal reasons,” according to ESPN’s Katie Strang.
What are those personal reasons? Well it might be related to the fact that he’s traveling with the KHL’s Slovan Bratislava to Prague for their game on Tuesday, based on TV NOVA Sport’s Roman Jedlicka report.
The 36-year-old defenseman has has made it very clear that he’d rather play for Slovan Bratislava, but he’s still under contract with the Islanders. They still want him and recently booked him a flight, but Visnovsky didn’t get on the plane.
The Isladners can suspend Visnovsky if he refuses to play and either way, he might not be allowed to stay in the KHL.
“The KHL has repeatedly said that they will not permit him to play, so I guess we will have to see what happens,” NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said.
That contrasts KHL president Alexander Medvedev’s earlier statement that he will help any NHL player that decides to stay.
And so the saga continues.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 1
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 4
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 34
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)