Jan 14, 2013, 2:27 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers have acquired defenseman Mark Fistric from Dallas in exchange for a third-round pick at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.
According to Edmonton’s press release, the trade is contingent upon Fistric passing the club’s medical examination. Fistric missed five games late in the 2011-12 season with an abdominal muscle injury.
If completed, the trade will bring Fistric back to his hometown — he was born in Edmonton and represented the city in the Alberta Midget Hockey League — and give the Oilers a physical presence on the blueline.
Fistric was taken by Dallas in the first round of the 2004 NHL Entry Draft (28th overall) and led all Stars defensemen in hits last season, with 235.
It’s a curious decision by Dallas as the Stars aren’t exactly loaded on the blueline. Alex Goligoski, Stephane Robidas, Trevor Daley, Aaron Rome and Philip Larsen are the lone veteran presences, though this move could open up minutes for Brenden Dillon and 2011 first-rounder Jamie Oleksiak.
Of note, the Stars made Fistric a qualifying offer in July, signing him to a one-year, $1.475 million deal.
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 38
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 3
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 28
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 14
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 72
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination