Jan 14, 2013, 2:27 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers have acquired defenseman Mark Fistric from Dallas in exchange for a third-round pick at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.
According to Edmonton’s press release, the trade is contingent upon Fistric passing the club’s medical examination. Fistric missed five games late in the 2011-12 season with an abdominal muscle injury.
If completed, the trade will bring Fistric back to his hometown — he was born in Edmonton and represented the city in the Alberta Midget Hockey League — and give the Oilers a physical presence on the blueline.
Fistric was taken by Dallas in the first round of the 2004 NHL Entry Draft (28th overall) and led all Stars defensemen in hits last season, with 235.
It’s a curious decision by Dallas as the Stars aren’t exactly loaded on the blueline. Alex Goligoski, Stephane Robidas, Trevor Daley, Aaron Rome and Philip Larsen are the lone veteran presences, though this move could open up minutes for Brenden Dillon and 2011 first-rounder Jamie Oleksiak.
Of note, the Stars made Fistric a qualifying offer in July, signing him to a one-year, $1.475 million deal.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 40
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)