Jan 14, 2013, 8:22 PM EDT
Ilya Kovalchuk has played in the KHL All-Star Game. Now he’s finally coming back to the New Jersey Devils.
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello expects Kovalchuk to be in New Jersey on Tuesday and participate in team’s practice on Wednesday, according to the NHL.com. Thus bringing an end to what has been an unusual situation.
Kovalchuk initially expressed an interest in finishing the season with St. Petersburg. He had been serving as the team’s captain and recorded 42 points in 36 games during the lockout.
Still, Lamoriello felt “comfortable” with the situation and his teammates have also voiced their support.
“He sacrificed himself to go overseas and do what he did, and he felt he needed to finish up what he started,” Martin Brodeur said. “It’s fine. Kovy is a dominant player; he doesn’t need to be here for seven days. If it was important to him he’s happy, so it’s good.”
Devils coach Peter DeBoer added that Kovalchuk missing the start of training camp shouldn’t be an issue “because he’s ahead of the curve.”
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 0
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)