Jan 14, 2013, 8:22 PM EDT
Ilya Kovalchuk has played in the KHL All-Star Game. Now he’s finally coming back to the New Jersey Devils.
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello expects Kovalchuk to be in New Jersey on Tuesday and participate in team’s practice on Wednesday, according to the NHL.com. Thus bringing an end to what has been an unusual situation.
Kovalchuk initially expressed an interest in finishing the season with St. Petersburg. He had been serving as the team’s captain and recorded 42 points in 36 games during the lockout.
Still, Lamoriello felt “comfortable” with the situation and his teammates have also voiced their support.
“He sacrificed himself to go overseas and do what he did, and he felt he needed to finish up what he started,” Martin Brodeur said. “It’s fine. Kovy is a dominant player; he doesn’t need to be here for seven days. If it was important to him he’s happy, so it’s good.”
Devils coach Peter DeBoer added that Kovalchuk missing the start of training camp shouldn’t be an issue “because he’s ahead of the curve.”
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 8
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 37
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 11
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)