Jan 14, 2013, 11:56 AM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings will soon announce contract extensions for general manager Dean Lombardi and head coach Darryl Sutter, according to the Los Angeles Times.
Lombardi’s deal is believed to be a four-year extension that will run through 2016-17. Length of term for Sutter wasn’t clear, though the Times’ Helene Elliott reports it will be a “long-term agreement.”
The extension culminates a stunning turnaround for Lombardi. It was only 13 months ago he fired head coach Terry Murray with the Kings sitting 12th in the Western Conference — looking nothing like a playoff team, let alone a Stanley Cup contender.
But facing the most intense pressure and scrutiny of his tenure in Los Angeles, Lombardi went bold.
He rolled the dice by acquiring Jeff Carter at the trade deadline — described as a “career Hail Mary” — but it paid off beautifully, giving LA forward depth that played a key role en route to the Cup win.
Lombardi’s other masterstroke was bringing aboard Sutter, who transformed the Kings into an aggressive, hard-checking group.
He strayed from Murray’s defensive-first scheme, allowing players more freedom offensively, and the shift paid off brilliantly as the Kings ran roughshod through the playoffs, losing just four games over the course of four rounds.
“I’m excited about the prospect of continuing my partnership with Darryl as we strive to keep the team among the elite in the NHL,” Lombardi told the Times.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 6
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 36
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)