Jan 14, 2013, 3:54 PM EDT
Details have emerged from Los Angeles about the health of Willie Mitchell, and they’re not good.
On Monday, Kings head coach Darryl Sutter told reporters Mitchell underwent knee surgery during the lockout – adding that the veteran defenseman’s recovery is behind schedule.
“He’s way behind,” Sutter explained. “He should have been a couple of weeks. Now it’s almost seven.”
Mitchell hasn’t participated in Kings’ training camp and GM Dean Lombardi said it’s “a little harder” to put a timetable on his return, given Mitchell’s not skating.
Sutter said he was uncertain when Mitchell could even return to practice, and it’s expected he won’t be available when the Kings host Chicago in Saturday’s season opener at Staples Center.
The 35-year-old was a key contributor for the Kings a year ago, scoring a career-best 24 points in 76 games.
In the playoffs, Mitchell averaged over 25 minutes per game — second only to Drew Doughty — and led the Kings in blocked shots, with 55.
Update: As per Lisa Dillman of the LA Times, Lombardi said Mitchell had knee surgery approximately two months ago. He had resumed skating, but suffered a setback and hasn’t been back on the ice since.
Setback came from pushing too hard, too soon. Not MCL or ACL related but was apparently to remove some cartilage, DL said.
— lisa dillman (@reallisa) January 14, 2013
May 24, 2013, 10:36 AM EDT
SKA Saint Petersburg would be the club.
May 24, 2013, 9:52 AM EDT
“(He’s) a hell of a hockey player.”
May 24, 2013, 9:02 AM EDT
He’s excited about the Avalanche’s future, but he also has other considerations.
May 24, 2013, 8:06 AM EDT
The match will start at 7:30 p.m. ET.
May 24, 2013, 7:16 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
May 24, 2013, 3:04 AM EDT
Typically, this is called.
May 24, 2013, 2:46 AM EDT
On the brink of elimination.
May 24, 2013, 2:28 AM EDT
Remember when he took the blame for first two losses against St. Louis?
May 24, 2013, 2:01 AM EDT
Second goal in 27 games.
May 24, 2013, 1:24 AM EDT
Home team has won every game in this series.
May 24, 2013, 12:28 AM EDT
“Something’s got to give,” Jonathan Toews said.
May 24, 2013, 12:25 AM EDT
Officially sidelined since Feb. 14 due to what GM Mike Gillis cited as safety concerns.
May 23, 2013, 11:44 PM EDT
Something you don’t see every game.
May 23, 2013, 11:23 PM EDT
‘We’ve had streaks before,” he said.
May 23, 2013, 11:10 PM EDT
Three straight penalties, still zero goals in the playoffs.
May 23, 2013, 11:01 PM EDT
Detroit wins again.
May 23, 2013, 10:51 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks’ frustrations continue.
May 23, 2013, 10:47 PM EDT
May 23, 2013, 10:38 PM EDT
The Game 4 win clearly made him chipper.
May 23, 2013, 10:03 PM EDT
Chris Kreider with some more playoff magic.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 7
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 5
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 19
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 48
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 78
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 48
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?