Jan 14, 2013, 3:54 PM EST
Details have emerged from Los Angeles about the health of Willie Mitchell, and they’re not good.
On Monday, Kings head coach Darryl Sutter told reporters Mitchell underwent knee surgery during the lockout – adding that the veteran defenseman’s recovery is behind schedule.
“He’s way behind,” Sutter explained. “He should have been a couple of weeks. Now it’s almost seven.”
Mitchell hasn’t participated in Kings’ training camp and GM Dean Lombardi said it’s “a little harder” to put a timetable on his return, given Mitchell’s not skating.
Sutter said he was uncertain when Mitchell could even return to practice, and it’s expected he won’t be available when the Kings host Chicago in Saturday’s season opener at Staples Center.
The 35-year-old was a key contributor for the Kings a year ago, scoring a career-best 24 points in 76 games.
In the playoffs, Mitchell averaged over 25 minutes per game — second only to Drew Doughty — and led the Kings in blocked shots, with 55.
Update: As per Lisa Dillman of the LA Times, Lombardi said Mitchell had knee surgery approximately two months ago. He had resumed skating, but suffered a setback and hasn’t been back on the ice since.
Setback came from pushing too hard, too soon. Not MCL or ACL related but was apparently to remove some cartilage, DL said.
— lisa dillman (@reallisa) January 14, 2013
Dec 4, 2013, 10:42 PM EST
Joining his Buffalo teammate Nikita Zadorov.
Dec 4, 2013, 10:16 PM EST
Montreal gets seventh win in eight games.
Dec 4, 2013, 9:24 PM EST
Dec 4, 2013, 9:05 PM EST
A handsome salary.
Dec 4, 2013, 8:30 PM EST
Rare good injury news for the Red Wings.
Dec 4, 2013, 7:12 PM EST
That’s almost $15 million in cap hits on the shelf.
Dec 4, 2013, 6:42 PM EST
Martin Marincin, Corey Potter and Anton Lander get called up.
Dec 4, 2013, 5:20 PM EST
“You’ve got to look at it: Who are your assets?”
Dec 4, 2013, 5:09 PM EST
Hard lines, Team Finland.
Dec 4, 2013, 4:37 PM EST
Tough blow for the reigning Vezina winner.
Dec 4, 2013, 4:14 PM EST
And as a bonus, their names rhyme.
Dec 4, 2013, 3:33 PM EST
Neither he nor Michal Handzus will suit up in Minnesota.
Dec 4, 2013, 3:07 PM EST
He’s missed the last three games.
Dec 4, 2013, 2:46 PM EST
That picture was not taken today.
Dec 4, 2013, 1:46 PM EST
With a special shout-out to Austria’s 1927 European championship team.
Dec 4, 2013, 1:39 PM EST
“Frankly, in my mind we’re playing him too much.”
Dec 4, 2013, 1:25 PM EST
He was a late scratch for Tuesday’s loss to Columbus.
Dec 4, 2013, 1:10 PM EST
Calgary hosts Phoenix at the Saddledome.
Dec 4, 2013, 12:44 PM EST
Pirri’s slumped lately after a hot start to the year.
Dec 4, 2013, 12:39 PM EST
We came up with three big ones.
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 51
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (51)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)
- ‘Don’t ruin a good thing,’ says Don Cherry after historic Rogers-NHL deal (32)