Jan 14, 2013, 3:54 PM EDT
Details have emerged from Los Angeles about the health of Willie Mitchell, and they’re not good.
On Monday, Kings head coach Darryl Sutter told reporters Mitchell underwent knee surgery during the lockout – adding that the veteran defenseman’s recovery is behind schedule.
“He’s way behind,” Sutter explained. “He should have been a couple of weeks. Now it’s almost seven.”
Mitchell hasn’t participated in Kings’ training camp and GM Dean Lombardi said it’s “a little harder” to put a timetable on his return, given Mitchell’s not skating.
Sutter said he was uncertain when Mitchell could even return to practice, and it’s expected he won’t be available when the Kings host Chicago in Saturday’s season opener at Staples Center.
The 35-year-old was a key contributor for the Kings a year ago, scoring a career-best 24 points in 76 games.
In the playoffs, Mitchell averaged over 25 minutes per game — second only to Drew Doughty — and led the Kings in blocked shots, with 55.
Update: As per Lisa Dillman of the LA Times, Lombardi said Mitchell had knee surgery approximately two months ago. He had resumed skating, but suffered a setback and hasn’t been back on the ice since.
Setback came from pushing too hard, too soon. Not MCL or ACL related but was apparently to remove some cartilage, DL said.
— lisa dillman (@reallisa) January 14, 2013
Apr 2, 2015, 1:20 AM EDT
Big win for San Jose.
Apr 2, 2015, 1:04 AM EDT
Apr 2, 2015, 12:46 AM EDT
Easily handled the Edmonton Oilers on Wednesday.
Apr 2, 2015, 12:16 AM EDT
Looked like a sure goal.
Apr 1, 2015, 11:45 PM EDT
That’s bad defending.
Apr 1, 2015, 11:20 PM EDT
Pittsburgh lost to Philadelphia on Wednesday.
Apr 1, 2015, 10:50 PM EDT
Started off well for Pittsburgh, but got worse from there.
Apr 1, 2015, 10:12 PM EDT
Both desperately need wins to stay alive in playoff race.
Apr 1, 2015, 9:54 PM EDT
Apr 1, 2015, 9:23 PM EDT
It’s been a while.
Apr 1, 2015, 8:48 PM EDT
He’s having a “down year,” apparently.
Apr 1, 2015, 8:18 PM EDT
Red Wings forward reflects on Tuesday’s scary skate cut incident.
Apr 1, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT
Just 12 forwards, and five defensemen.
Apr 1, 2015, 7:39 PM EDT
“It was vicious, and it deserves to be penalized.”
Apr 1, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
Kings defenseman also suffered a ruptured Achilles.
Apr 1, 2015, 6:38 PM EDT
Catch the game on NBCSN, or with NBCSports.com’s Live Extra.
Apr 1, 2015, 6:13 PM EDT
He’ll play on a line with Carl Hagelin and Kevin Hayes.
Apr 1, 2015, 5:26 PM EDT
Has been playing in Finland this season.
Apr 1, 2015, 4:48 PM EDT
Click for all the odds.
Apr 1, 2015, 4:24 PM EDT
Certainly better than they were in February.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)