Jan 14, 2013, 3:54 PM EDT
Details have emerged from Los Angeles about the health of Willie Mitchell, and they’re not good.
On Monday, Kings head coach Darryl Sutter told reporters Mitchell underwent knee surgery during the lockout – adding that the veteran defenseman’s recovery is behind schedule.
“He’s way behind,” Sutter explained. “He should have been a couple of weeks. Now it’s almost seven.”
Mitchell hasn’t participated in Kings’ training camp and GM Dean Lombardi said it’s “a little harder” to put a timetable on his return, given Mitchell’s not skating.
Sutter said he was uncertain when Mitchell could even return to practice, and it’s expected he won’t be available when the Kings host Chicago in Saturday’s season opener at Staples Center.
The 35-year-old was a key contributor for the Kings a year ago, scoring a career-best 24 points in 76 games.
In the playoffs, Mitchell averaged over 25 minutes per game — second only to Drew Doughty — and led the Kings in blocked shots, with 55.
Update: As per Lisa Dillman of the LA Times, Lombardi said Mitchell had knee surgery approximately two months ago. He had resumed skating, but suffered a setback and hasn’t been back on the ice since.
Setback came from pushing too hard, too soon. Not MCL or ACL related but was apparently to remove some cartilage, DL said.
— lisa dillman (@reallisa) January 14, 2013
Mar 14, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
Yet another tough blow for Vancouver.
Mar 14, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT
21-year-old Johan Sundstrom is set to make his NHL debut vs. San Jose.
Mar 14, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Tuukka at the top.
Mar 14, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT
Looks like no Horcoff, Eakin or Lehtonen in a key battle for playoff positioning.
Mar 14, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT
Back-to-back games for Pittsburgh and Philly.
Mar 14, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
They surprised a lot of people by giving up a second round pick to acquire him from Calgary.
Mar 14, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT
The severity of his injury isn’t known yet.
Mar 14, 2014, 8:03 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Mar 14, 2014, 1:31 AM EDT
Quite the position the goalie found himself in.
Mar 14, 2014, 12:27 AM EDT
St. Louis overpowered Edmonton in the third period.
Mar 13, 2014, 11:44 PM EDT
Mar 13, 2014, 11:16 PM EDT
But Buffalo still loses.
Mar 13, 2014, 10:36 PM EDT
Also, his first goal since March 2, 2010.
Mar 13, 2014, 10:04 PM EDT
We’ve seen this many times before.
Mar 13, 2014, 9:47 PM EDT
Big save late in the third period.
Mar 13, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT
Former Blue notches his 25th of the year.
Mar 13, 2014, 7:54 PM EDT
“They’re all over the place.”
Mar 13, 2014, 7:10 PM EDT
He leads all Bruins defensemen in scoring.
Mar 13, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
Appeared in over 800 games with Hartford, Carolina and Philadelphia.
Mar 13, 2014, 6:39 PM EDT
“They put in a system where we know we can win each and every game.”
- Here are the top 10 and bottom 10 goalies in even-strength save percentage 5
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 4
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 25
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider 97
- Callahan: I wanted to stay in New York 37
- Playoff bubble watch — Wild edition 18
- Video: Ryan Kesler injured on knee-on-knee collision, on his way back to Vancouver 12
- Discuss: Bruins run over Habs in newest chapter of historic rivalry 26
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 13
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 9
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (97)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (73)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)