Jan 14, 2013, 5:22 PM EDT
Washington Capitals goaltender Braden Holtby made a name for himself in the 2012 playoffs and his impressive stint with the AHL Hershey Bears during the lockout has done nothing to dampen the enthusiasm surrounding him.
Capitals coach Adam Oates hinted that Holtby’s performance last year has probably earned him the opportunity to start in the Capitals’ season opener. Still, that doesn’t mean he has the number one gig locked up, according to the Washington Post.
Michal Neuvirth is coming off of a rough season, but Oates plans to give him plenty of chances to prove himself. Ultimately, Holtby and Neuvirth might end up splitting the goaltending duties fairly evenly in 2013.
“Forty-eight games, I think both guys are going to play a lot, and I would say when a guy is playing well, he should play,” Oates said.
He thinks some healthy competition between the two young goalies is a “great situation to have, a luxury for a coach.”
Washington will open the shortened season against the Tampa Bay Lightning at 7:00 p.m. ET on Saturday.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 0
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 25
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)