Jan 14, 2013, 3:41 PM EDT
The pickings are pretty slim, but hey, if Jim Vandermeer can get a contract, then why shouldn’t these five unrestricted free agents?
Jason Arnott (C)
The 38-year-old is coming off a decent season with the Blues in which he scored 17 times and added 17 assists. Not surprisingly, a number of teams have been kicking the tires; however, there will be concerns about his ability to keep up and, also, to stay healthy. (Salary in 2011-12: $2.5 million)
Chris Campoli (D)
One of the NHLPA’s most outspoken members during the lockout, Campoli is hoping his commitment to the cause won’t cost him a job. Slowed by a leg injury last season, the 28-year-old appeared in just 43 games for Montreal, averaging 17:12 of ice time per game. Given the market for depth defensemen, Campoli should find a home somewhere. (Salary in 2011-12: $1.75 million)
Brett Clark (D)
Another potential depth d-man. Clark, 36, played all 82 games for the Lightning in 2011-12. His minus-26 rating was the fifth worst in the league, and that won’t look great on his résumé. But as always with plus-minus, it may not tell the whole story if he was playing tough minutes. (Salary in 2011-12: $1.3 million)
Daymond Langkow (C)
Just as depth on the back end is important, so is depth down the middle. Langkow, 36, appeared in all 16 playoff games for Phoenix last season, scoring once and adding six assists while playing 15:25 per game. He probably won’t score 77 points again like he did with Calgary in 2006-07, but if he wants a job, he should be able to find one. We hear the Coyotes are looking for a center. (Salary in 2011-12: $4.5 million)
Petr Sykora (RW)
Despite scoring 21 times last season in New Jersey, Sykora doesn’t fit in the Devils’ plans, according to GM Lou Lamoriello. The 36-year-old slowed down in the playoffs with just two goals in 18 games. (Salary in 2011-12: $650,000)
Aug 1, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
His relationship with Panthers GM Dale Tallon made a big difference.
Aug 1, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT
Will Los Angeles regret opting against a buyout?
Aug 1, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Taking a look at the 2014 champions on Friday.
Jul 31, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Lou Lamoriello says those SO struggles are “not a focus.”
Jul 31, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
“It will help me down the road.”
Jul 31, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
Have fun making up captions with this one.
Jul 31, 2014, 7:39 PM EDT
The team estimates he’ll miss two weeks of on-ice training.
Jul 31, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
The former first-rounder still needs to prove himself.
Jul 31, 2014, 5:18 PM EDT
The forward is already endearing himself to Blue Jackets fans.
Jul 31, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
Ottawa’s offseason is receiving mixed reviews.
Jul 31, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT
He doesn’t know how to haggle.
Jul 31, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT
Dallas Stars version.
Jul 31, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
Let’s make a big deal out of this, shall we?
Jul 31, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
A “well-deserved” honor, according to Ed Snider.
Jul 31, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
Beginning with the Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings. Click for the full 30-team schedule.
Jul 31, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT
Brandon Sutter next?
Jul 31, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT
Went 12-15-6 with a .913 save percentage last season for Ottawa.
Jul 31, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
But he also won’t require surgery.
Jul 31, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
All that and more, inside.
Jul 30, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
They’ll face off against Canada and Russia at a tournament in Toronto next week.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 18
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 62
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)