Jan 14, 2013, 3:41 PM EST
The pickings are pretty slim, but hey, if Jim Vandermeer can get a contract, then why shouldn’t these five unrestricted free agents?
Jason Arnott (C)
The 38-year-old is coming off a decent season with the Blues in which he scored 17 times and added 17 assists. Not surprisingly, a number of teams have been kicking the tires; however, there will be concerns about his ability to keep up and, also, to stay healthy. (Salary in 2011-12: $2.5 million)
Chris Campoli (D)
One of the NHLPA’s most outspoken members during the lockout, Campoli is hoping his commitment to the cause won’t cost him a job. Slowed by a leg injury last season, the 28-year-old appeared in just 43 games for Montreal, averaging 17:12 of ice time per game. Given the market for depth defensemen, Campoli should find a home somewhere. (Salary in 2011-12: $1.75 million)
Brett Clark (D)
Another potential depth d-man. Clark, 36, played all 82 games for the Lightning in 2011-12. His minus-26 rating was the fifth worst in the league, and that won’t look great on his résumé. But as always with plus-minus, it may not tell the whole story if he was playing tough minutes. (Salary in 2011-12: $1.3 million)
Daymond Langkow (C)
Just as depth on the back end is important, so is depth down the middle. Langkow, 36, appeared in all 16 playoff games for Phoenix last season, scoring once and adding six assists while playing 15:25 per game. He probably won’t score 77 points again like he did with Calgary in 2006-07, but if he wants a job, he should be able to find one. We hear the Coyotes are looking for a center. (Salary in 2011-12: $4.5 million)
Petr Sykora (RW)
Despite scoring 21 times last season in New Jersey, Sykora doesn’t fit in the Devils’ plans, according to GM Lou Lamoriello. The 36-year-old slowed down in the playoffs with just two goals in 18 games. (Salary in 2011-12: $650,000)
Dec 8, 2013, 10:58 PM EST
More bad injury breaks for Boston.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:39 PM EST
“It’s getting old,” Brad Richards said.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:10 PM EST
Todd McLellan wasn’t happy on Sunday.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:53 PM EST
Good news/bad news night for Chicago.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:22 PM EST
Is this a faux pas?
Dec 8, 2013, 8:16 PM EST
Dec 8, 2013, 7:24 PM EST
Punishment for Varlamov’s last start or reward for Jiggy’s win?
Dec 8, 2013, 7:13 PM EST
It resulted in a broken ankle.
Dec 8, 2013, 7:01 PM EST
He expects to bring “tons of energy.”
Dec 8, 2013, 6:50 PM EST
Claude Julien believes Brendan Shanahan faces a few tough calls.
Dec 8, 2013, 6:25 PM EST
Ryan Spooner and Matt Fraser are emergency recalls.
Dec 8, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
Dec 8, 2013, 5:32 PM EST
No back-to-back duty for Braden Holtby.
Dec 8, 2013, 5:16 PM EST
The team is unsure if he has a concussion.
Dec 8, 2013, 5:13 PM EST
He’s not even sure if he’s retiring, but even if he is, he doesn’t want the distraction.
Dec 8, 2013, 4:21 PM EST
Los Angeles has been great during his recovery process.
Dec 8, 2013, 3:34 PM EST
Mason might not get that much, but he’s certainly in line for a big raise.
Dec 8, 2013, 2:46 PM EST
His Boston Bruins will play there on Tuesday.
Dec 8, 2013, 1:59 PM EST
Meanwhile it’s Niemi vs Harding in Minnesota.
Dec 8, 2013, 1:11 PM EST
“It was just bad in here.”
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 62
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 87
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (87)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (80)