Jan 14, 2013, 3:41 PM EDT
The pickings are pretty slim, but hey, if Jim Vandermeer can get a contract, then why shouldn’t these five unrestricted free agents?
Jason Arnott (C)
The 38-year-old is coming off a decent season with the Blues in which he scored 17 times and added 17 assists. Not surprisingly, a number of teams have been kicking the tires; however, there will be concerns about his ability to keep up and, also, to stay healthy. (Salary in 2011-12: $2.5 million)
Chris Campoli (D)
One of the NHLPA’s most outspoken members during the lockout, Campoli is hoping his commitment to the cause won’t cost him a job. Slowed by a leg injury last season, the 28-year-old appeared in just 43 games for Montreal, averaging 17:12 of ice time per game. Given the market for depth defensemen, Campoli should find a home somewhere. (Salary in 2011-12: $1.75 million)
Brett Clark (D)
Another potential depth d-man. Clark, 36, played all 82 games for the Lightning in 2011-12. His minus-26 rating was the fifth worst in the league, and that won’t look great on his résumé. But as always with plus-minus, it may not tell the whole story if he was playing tough minutes. (Salary in 2011-12: $1.3 million)
Daymond Langkow (C)
Just as depth on the back end is important, so is depth down the middle. Langkow, 36, appeared in all 16 playoff games for Phoenix last season, scoring once and adding six assists while playing 15:25 per game. He probably won’t score 77 points again like he did with Calgary in 2006-07, but if he wants a job, he should be able to find one. We hear the Coyotes are looking for a center. (Salary in 2011-12: $4.5 million)
Petr Sykora (RW)
Despite scoring 21 times last season in New Jersey, Sykora doesn’t fit in the Devils’ plans, according to GM Lou Lamoriello. The 36-year-old slowed down in the playoffs with just two goals in 18 games. (Salary in 2011-12: $650,000)
Mar 9, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
They both desperately need every point they can get.
Mar 9, 2014, 1:09 AM EDT
A much-needed victory for Vancouver.
Mar 9, 2014, 12:14 AM EDT
Short ones on Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:32 PM EDT
Roberto Luongo: quiet, so far.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:27 PM EDT
Tyler Seguin is just on fire right now.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:09 PM EDT
Dallas scored once on the resulting five-minute major penalty.
Mar 8, 2014, 10:59 PM EDT
Seeding battles heat up.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
Jaroslav Halak wins in his Washington debut.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
He scored the game-winner for New Jersey against Carolina.
Mar 8, 2014, 8:53 PM EDT
A solid Saturday for the Sens.
Mar 8, 2014, 8:24 PM EDT
His No. 9 ascends to the rafters.
Mar 8, 2014, 8:11 PM EDT
His latest acquisitions Matt Moulson and Cody McCormick are set to debut Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 7:39 PM EDT
Sounds like he’ll take his talents to Europe instead.
Mar 8, 2014, 6:37 PM EDT
He was diagnosed with bacterial meningitis earlier this month.
Mar 8, 2014, 6:16 PM EDT
Craig Anderson made 46 saves on Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
Making a strong first impression in St. Louis.
Mar 8, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
Petr Mrazek will backup Jimmy Howard.
Mar 8, 2014, 4:28 PM EDT
The Leafs have called up Frazer McLaren.
Mar 8, 2014, 3:49 PM EDT
She had a 0.96 GAA and .954 save percentage in the Olympics.
Mar 8, 2014, 3:21 PM EDT
He suffered the injury last Saturday.
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 0
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 12
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 14
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 10
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 11
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)