Jan 14, 2013, 1:54 PM EST
The Florida Panthers will be shorthanded to start the regular season.
That’s the word out of Sunrise on Monday as head coach Kevin Dineen confirmed defenseman Erik Gudbranson (shoulder) and forward Marcel Goc (ankle) would miss the Panthers’ first three games of the season.
Florida opens with a home game against Carolina on Jan. 19, followed by road dates in Ottawa and Montreal on the 21st and 22nd.
According to George Richards of the Miami Herald, Florida GM Dale Tallon has suspended both Gudbranson and Goc from the team until they’re medically cleared for action.
This is bad news for the Panthers, given their roster was already thin.
Forward Sean Bergenheim injured his groin while playing for HIFK Helsinki during the lockout and still needs medical clearance.
RFA defenseman Dmitry Kulikov is without an NHL contract — he’s still playing with KHL Lokomotiv — though Tallon did say assistant GM Mike Santos is working on his deal.
All told, Florida could be without four regulars to start the season, including two of its top defensemen from a year ago.
“You’re missing two top players for us last year,” Dineen told the Florida Sun-Sentinel. “Am I comfortable with it? No. I’d love to have nine quality defensemen.
“You have that and I’m a better coach with those two guys.”
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 6
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)