Gaborik shifts to left wing, Rangers split up big three

Jan 14, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT

Marian Gaborik Getty Images

It looks like we won’t see the dream line of Marian Gaborik, Rick Nash, and Brad Richards from the New York Rangers — at least not at first.

Rangers coach John Tortorella has tentatively decided to shift Gaborik to the left side and put him on a line with Derek Stepan and Ryan Callahan, according to the New York Post.

Gaborik has logged next to no time as a left winger in the three campaigns in New York.

“There’s definitely going to be an adjustment, especially in our own zone and with wall play, so I’ll work on that whenever I get the chance,” Gaborik said. “I like shooting from the left side. I feel very comfortable with my shot from [the left wing circle], so that could be an advantage.

“Also, if I’m playing with Step [Derek Stepan], it’s good that his first instinct as a right-hander is to move the puck on his forehand to the left side.”

Assuming this experiment works out, then Nash, Richards, and Carl Hagelin will play together.

“If Rick and I are on different lines, it makes it a lot more difficult for opposing coaches to match their defense against us,” Gaborik said. “If moving to the left makes us a more dangerous team, I’m all for it.”

The pressure will be on the Rangers to perform this season as one of the early favorites to win the Stanley Cup. They will start the shortened campaign against the Boston Bruins at 7:00 p.m. ET on Saturday.

Related:

Tortorella takes less intense approach to short camp