Jan 14, 2013, 2:56 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers added experience behind the bench on Monday, announcing that John Paddock would move from assistant GM to assistant coach.
“I’m on the coaching staff but I won’t be doing any of that [assistant GM] stuff — I won’t have time for it,” Paddock told CSNPhilly.com. “It came about between a conversation between [Paul Holmgren] and [Peter Laviolette].”
Paddock, who has previous head coaching experience in both Winnipeg and Ottawa, said he’ll be “leaning a little more on the overall team defensive side of the game” as Laviolette handles the offense.
The 58-year-old joined the Flyers organization in 2008, first as a head coach of the AHL Phantoms, then as an assistant to GM Paul Holmgren.
Paddock will now join Joe Mullen, Kevin McCarthy and Craig Berube as Laviolette’s assistants.
Of note, Paddock actually used to coach Laviolette — the two spent a year together with AHL Binghamton during the 1990-91 season.
“I’m going to be a sounding board on different things,” Paddock said. “Maybe a little bit more on the defensive side. I’ve known Lavy a long time.
“There’s complete comfort here where communicating and him asking questions and giving [feedback]. I’m not here to tell anyone what to do.”
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 4
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 15
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 20
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)