Jan 14, 2013, 2:56 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers added experience behind the bench on Monday, announcing that John Paddock would move from assistant GM to assistant coach.
“I’m on the coaching staff but I won’t be doing any of that [assistant GM] stuff — I won’t have time for it,” Paddock told CSNPhilly.com. “It came about between a conversation between [Paul Holmgren] and [Peter Laviolette].”
Paddock, who has previous head coaching experience in both Winnipeg and Ottawa, said he’ll be “leaning a little more on the overall team defensive side of the game” as Laviolette handles the offense.
The 58-year-old joined the Flyers organization in 2008, first as a head coach of the AHL Phantoms, then as an assistant to GM Paul Holmgren.
Paddock will now join Joe Mullen, Kevin McCarthy and Craig Berube as Laviolette’s assistants.
Of note, Paddock actually used to coach Laviolette — the two spent a year together with AHL Binghamton during the 1990-91 season.
“I’m going to be a sounding board on different things,” Paddock said. “Maybe a little bit more on the defensive side. I’ve known Lavy a long time.
“There’s complete comfort here where communicating and him asking questions and giving [feedback]. I’m not here to tell anyone what to do.”
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 0
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 43
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 5
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 37
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 98
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)