Jan 14, 2013, 2:56 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers added experience behind the bench on Monday, announcing that John Paddock would move from assistant GM to assistant coach.
“I’m on the coaching staff but I won’t be doing any of that [assistant GM] stuff — I won’t have time for it,” Paddock told CSNPhilly.com. “It came about between a conversation between [Paul Holmgren] and [Peter Laviolette].”
Paddock, who has previous head coaching experience in both Winnipeg and Ottawa, said he’ll be “leaning a little more on the overall team defensive side of the game” as Laviolette handles the offense.
The 58-year-old joined the Flyers organization in 2008, first as a head coach of the AHL Phantoms, then as an assistant to GM Paul Holmgren.
Paddock will now join Joe Mullen, Kevin McCarthy and Craig Berube as Laviolette’s assistants.
Of note, Paddock actually used to coach Laviolette — the two spent a year together with AHL Binghamton during the 1990-91 season.
“I’m going to be a sounding board on different things,” Paddock said. “Maybe a little bit more on the defensive side. I’ve known Lavy a long time.
“There’s complete comfort here where communicating and him asking questions and giving [feedback]. I’m not here to tell anyone what to do.”
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 66
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 6
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 32
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 73
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 8
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination