Jan 14, 2013, 2:56 PM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers added experience behind the bench on Monday, announcing that John Paddock would move from assistant GM to assistant coach.
“I’m on the coaching staff but I won’t be doing any of that [assistant GM] stuff — I won’t have time for it,” Paddock told CSNPhilly.com. “It came about between a conversation between [Paul Holmgren] and [Peter Laviolette].”
Paddock, who has previous head coaching experience in both Winnipeg and Ottawa, said he’ll be “leaning a little more on the overall team defensive side of the game” as Laviolette handles the offense.
The 58-year-old joined the Flyers organization in 2008, first as a head coach of the AHL Phantoms, then as an assistant to GM Paul Holmgren.
Paddock will now join Joe Mullen, Kevin McCarthy and Craig Berube as Laviolette’s assistants.
Of note, Paddock actually used to coach Laviolette — the two spent a year together with AHL Binghamton during the 1990-91 season.
“I’m going to be a sounding board on different things,” Paddock said. “Maybe a little bit more on the defensive side. I’ve known Lavy a long time.
“There’s complete comfort here where communicating and him asking questions and giving [feedback]. I’m not here to tell anyone what to do.”
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 16
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 4
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 21
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)