Jan 14, 2013, 8:56 AM EDT
Expectations surrounding Brayden Schenn have been high for years and this might be the season he breaks out.
He averaged a point-per-game with the AHL Adirondack Phantoms during the lockout and has been reunited with his brother Luke Schenn. On top of that, Flyers coach Peter Laviolette had him playing on the first line with Claude Giroux and Scott Hartnell during Sunday’s practice, according to the Philadelphia Flyers’ official website.
Naturally, the lines at the start of training camp won’t necessarily last for more than a couple days, let alone until even the start of the season. Still, it’s an early demonstration of Laviolette’s willingness to experiment with putting Schenn in bigger roles after he was limited to 14:07 minutes per game in 2011-12.
“There’s no question that the expectation is a lot of our young players will see expanded roles to penalty kill or power play, or moving up to play higher up in the lineup and playing more minutes,” Laviolette said. “It’s a natural progression with young players and we’ll certainly see that with our group.”
Schenn thinks his time with Adirondack helped build his confidence.
“I feel ready and great going into this year,” Schenn added.
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 14
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 31
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)