Jan 13, 2013, 10:06 AM EDT
Flyers fans can dig out their Brian Boucher jerseys one more time.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports the Flyers have acquired Boucher and prospect Mark Alt from Carolina in exchange for minor league forward Luke Pither.
Boucher saw his season ended last year with a brutal groin injury which required surgery. There he played in just 10 games as Cam Ward‘s backup before being injured. He struggled putting up just a .881 save percentage and a 3.41 goals against average.
Now he’s headed back to Philadelphia for the third time in his career to compete for the backup job behind Ilya Bryzgalov with Michael Leighton. Oddly enough, those two were the goalies for the Flyers during their run to the Stanley Cup finals in 2010.
Meanwhile in Carolina, this clears up the backup picture immensely as it appears the job belongs to Dan Ellis as he and Ward are now the only two goalies left on their training camp roster.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 0
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 1
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 4
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5