Jan 13, 2013, 10:06 AM EDT
Flyers fans can dig out their Brian Boucher jerseys one more time.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports the Flyers have acquired Boucher and prospect Mark Alt from Carolina in exchange for minor league forward Luke Pither.
Boucher saw his season ended last year with a brutal groin injury which required surgery. There he played in just 10 games as Cam Ward‘s backup before being injured. He struggled putting up just a .881 save percentage and a 3.41 goals against average.
Now he’s headed back to Philadelphia for the third time in his career to compete for the backup job behind Ilya Bryzgalov with Michael Leighton. Oddly enough, those two were the goalies for the Flyers during their run to the Stanley Cup finals in 2010.
Meanwhile in Carolina, this clears up the backup picture immensely as it appears the job belongs to Dan Ellis as he and Ward are now the only two goalies left on their training camp roster.
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 12
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 34
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 72
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 8
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 11
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 46
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'