Jan 13, 2013, 10:06 AM EDT
Flyers fans can dig out their Brian Boucher jerseys one more time.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports the Flyers have acquired Boucher and prospect Mark Alt from Carolina in exchange for minor league forward Luke Pither.
Boucher saw his season ended last year with a brutal groin injury which required surgery. There he played in just 10 games as Cam Ward‘s backup before being injured. He struggled putting up just a .881 save percentage and a 3.41 goals against average.
Now he’s headed back to Philadelphia for the third time in his career to compete for the backup job behind Ilya Bryzgalov with Michael Leighton. Oddly enough, those two were the goalies for the Flyers during their run to the Stanley Cup finals in 2010.
Meanwhile in Carolina, this clears up the backup picture immensely as it appears the job belongs to Dan Ellis as he and Ward are now the only two goalies left on their training camp roster.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)