Jan 13, 2013, 10:06 AM EST
Flyers fans can dig out their Brian Boucher jerseys one more time.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports the Flyers have acquired Boucher and prospect Mark Alt from Carolina in exchange for minor league forward Luke Pither.
Boucher saw his season ended last year with a brutal groin injury which required surgery. There he played in just 10 games as Cam Ward‘s backup before being injured. He struggled putting up just a .881 save percentage and a 3.41 goals against average.
Now he’s headed back to Philadelphia for the third time in his career to compete for the backup job behind Ilya Bryzgalov with Michael Leighton. Oddly enough, those two were the goalies for the Flyers during their run to the Stanley Cup finals in 2010.
Meanwhile in Carolina, this clears up the backup picture immensely as it appears the job belongs to Dan Ellis as he and Ward are now the only two goalies left on their training camp roster.
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 0
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 7
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 23
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3