Jan 13, 2013, 11:10 PM EDT
New Jersey Devils and Florida Panthers fans won’t have to wait too much longer to find out who will be wearing the ‘C’ next season. Both team coaches will probably reveal their decision within the next week, according to New Jersey Online and the Miami Herald.
Devils coach Pete DeBoer indicated that he will probably make an announcement before the team’s season opener on Saturday, but he wouldn’t tip his hand.
“We’ve had some internal discussions,” DeBoer said, “but we haven’t named anyone yet.”
Panthers coach Kevin Dineen plans to name his choice this week.
For the third time in the Florida Panthers’ 18th season existence, the franchise did not have a captain in 2011-12. Bryan McCabe served in that role until he was traded on Feb. 26, 2011.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 3
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 50
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 64
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 26
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 44
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (80)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)