Jan 13, 2013, 7:44 PM EDT
Jarome Iginla hasn’t missed a single game in five straight campaigns. Will that trend end this season?
The Calgary Flames captain didn’t participate in the first day of training camp because of a groin injury, according to TSN.
GM Jay Feaster said that he’s not worried and that Iginla was kept off the ice for “precautionary reasons.”
Iginla is in the final season of his five-year, $35 million contract. He recently stated that his preference is to stay in Calgary. However if the team struggles, the Flames might finally decide to trade him for picks and/or prospects.
Iginla has built of reputation as being not just an elite player, but a remarkably consistent one as well. He’s reached the 30-goal mark in each of his previous 11 seasons, but that’s not likely to happen again due to the 48-game schedule.
Meanwhile, the Calgary Flames were also missing Roman Cervenka and Anton Babchuk on Sunday. Cervenka is on medication because of blood clots while Babchuk is expected to miss three weeks with a shoulder injury.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 26
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 57
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (57)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)