Jan 13, 2013, 7:44 PM EST
Jarome Iginla hasn’t missed a single game in five straight campaigns. Will that trend end this season?
The Calgary Flames captain didn’t participate in the first day of training camp because of a groin injury, according to TSN.
GM Jay Feaster said that he’s not worried and that Iginla was kept off the ice for “precautionary reasons.”
Iginla is in the final season of his five-year, $35 million contract. He recently stated that his preference is to stay in Calgary. However if the team struggles, the Flames might finally decide to trade him for picks and/or prospects.
Iginla has built of reputation as being not just an elite player, but a remarkably consistent one as well. He’s reached the 30-goal mark in each of his previous 11 seasons, but that’s not likely to happen again due to the 48-game schedule.
Meanwhile, the Calgary Flames were also missing Roman Cervenka and Anton Babchuk on Sunday. Cervenka is on medication because of blood clots while Babchuk is expected to miss three weeks with a shoulder injury.
- NHL on NBCSN: Penguins kick off Rivalry Night vs. Capitals 0
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 50
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 17
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)