Jan 13, 2013, 7:44 PM EDT
Jarome Iginla hasn’t missed a single game in five straight campaigns. Will that trend end this season?
The Calgary Flames captain didn’t participate in the first day of training camp because of a groin injury, according to TSN.
GM Jay Feaster said that he’s not worried and that Iginla was kept off the ice for “precautionary reasons.”
Iginla is in the final season of his five-year, $35 million contract. He recently stated that his preference is to stay in Calgary. However if the team struggles, the Flames might finally decide to trade him for picks and/or prospects.
Iginla has built of reputation as being not just an elite player, but a remarkably consistent one as well. He’s reached the 30-goal mark in each of his previous 11 seasons, but that’s not likely to happen again due to the 48-game schedule.
Meanwhile, the Calgary Flames were also missing Roman Cervenka and Anton Babchuk on Sunday. Cervenka is on medication because of blood clots while Babchuk is expected to miss three weeks with a shoulder injury.
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 7
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 31
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 25
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)