Jan 13, 2013, 7:44 PM EDT
Jarome Iginla hasn’t missed a single game in five straight campaigns. Will that trend end this season?
The Calgary Flames captain didn’t participate in the first day of training camp because of a groin injury, according to TSN.
GM Jay Feaster said that he’s not worried and that Iginla was kept off the ice for “precautionary reasons.”
Iginla is in the final season of his five-year, $35 million contract. He recently stated that his preference is to stay in Calgary. However if the team struggles, the Flames might finally decide to trade him for picks and/or prospects.
Iginla has built of reputation as being not just an elite player, but a remarkably consistent one as well. He’s reached the 30-goal mark in each of his previous 11 seasons, but that’s not likely to happen again due to the 48-game schedule.
Meanwhile, the Calgary Flames were also missing Roman Cervenka and Anton Babchuk on Sunday. Cervenka is on medication because of blood clots while Babchuk is expected to miss three weeks with a shoulder injury.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 117
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (117)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)