Jan 13, 2013, 7:44 PM EDT
Jarome Iginla hasn’t missed a single game in five straight campaigns. Will that trend end this season?
The Calgary Flames captain didn’t participate in the first day of training camp because of a groin injury, according to TSN.
GM Jay Feaster said that he’s not worried and that Iginla was kept off the ice for “precautionary reasons.”
Iginla is in the final season of his five-year, $35 million contract. He recently stated that his preference is to stay in Calgary. However if the team struggles, the Flames might finally decide to trade him for picks and/or prospects.
Iginla has built of reputation as being not just an elite player, but a remarkably consistent one as well. He’s reached the 30-goal mark in each of his previous 11 seasons, but that’s not likely to happen again due to the 48-game schedule.
Meanwhile, the Calgary Flames were also missing Roman Cervenka and Anton Babchuk on Sunday. Cervenka is on medication because of blood clots while Babchuk is expected to miss three weeks with a shoulder injury.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)