Handzus hopes for bounce-back year

Jan 13, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT

Calgary Flames v San Jose Sharks Getty Images

Michal Handzus fought through a hip injury during a disappointing 2011-12 season with the San Jose Sharks, but he didn’t use that as excuse while sharing his hopes for a return to form with CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz.

“I know last year wasn’t good for me,” Handzus said on Friday, after skating for the first time this season at Sharks Ice. “I didn’t play well or help the team as much as I wanted to, or as much as the team wanted me to. I just put it behind me. It’s a new year, and I [will] try to prove to my teammates, management and fans that I can help the team. That’s my goal.”

Scoring wise, Handzus’ 24-point output wasn’t that far behind the 30 he scored in 2010-11, but his overall play wasn’t there. One could see an example in his diminished time on ice; the big Slovakian forward saw his minutes slide by almost three from 17:21 in 10-11 to 14:27 per game last season.

Kurz asked if some nice work overseas during the lockout shows that he merely needed to rest that troublesome hip, yet Handzus shook off that question.

“I’m not a guy that if something hurts I’m not going to play. I’m going to play through it. The only time I’m not going to play is if the doctors say no, or I can’t go,” Handzus said. “Maybe it would have helped if I took some time off, but I probably would never do that. I would still try to play through it. I’ve proved over my career that I play a lot of games hurt, and I play well. It’s one of those things that I didn’t, and it was disappointing for me.”

He’s one of several Sharks hoping to bounce back in this shortened season.

Latest Posts
  1. Ribeiro, Preds continue to negotiate an extension

Jun 30, 2015, 11:55 PM EDT

Mike Ribeiro Mike Ribeiro

David Poile has made the 35-year-old an offer and given him a deadline.

2. NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas

Jun 30, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT

Las Vegas Arena Construction Site Tour Getty Images

But this isn’t the first time such a scenario has been reported.

3. Sharks sign Jones to a three-year, $9 million extension

Jun 30, 2015, 9:33 PM EDT

martinjonesap AP

San Jose acquired him from Boston earlier in the day.

4. Islanders ink Anders Lee to a four-year, $15 million extension

Jun 30, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT

EDMONTON, AB - MARCH 06: Anders Lee #27 of the New York Islanders celebrates a goal against the Edmonton Oilers during an NHL game at Rexall Place on March 06, 2014 in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Getty Images

He was set to become a restricted free agent on Wednesday.

5. Wings buy out Weiss after two rocky seasons

Jun 30, 2015, 8:27 PM EDT

Stephen Weiss Getty Images

Detroit’s creating an opportunity for one of its young forwards.

6. Trade: Oilers get Korpikoski from Coyotes for Gordon

Jun 30, 2015, 8:06 PM EDT

Lauri Korpikoski Getty Images

Arizona is getting back its former center.

7. Saad, Jackets working on an extension ‘as we speak’

Jun 30, 2015, 8:04 PM EDT

Brandon Saad Brandon Saad

He’s set to become a restricted free agent on Wednesday.

8. Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone

Jun 30, 2015, 7:36 PM EDT

Los Angeles Kings v New York Rangers Getty Images

He hasn’t been charged with a crime, but is reportedly being investigated.

9. Ducks stay busy, name former Adams winner MacLean assistant coach

Jun 30, 2015, 6:37 PM EDT

Paul MacLean AP

Won NHL’s coach of the year in 2013 with Ottawa.

10. Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose

Jun 30, 2015, 6:07 PM EDT

Kevin Bieksa Getty Images

Where he’ll be reunited with former teammate Ryan Kesler.

11. Treliving, Flames not concerned about ‘noise’ coming out of Boston

Jun 30, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT

Brad Treliving Brad Treliving

Calgary’s GM responded to comments in a Boston Herald story regarding defenseman Dougie Hamilton.

12. Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago

Jun 30, 2015, 5:25 PM EDT

2015 NHL Stanley Cup Final - Game Six Getty Images

A total of seven players involved in Tuesday’s trade.

13. Detroit signs Smith to two-year, $5.5 million extension

Jun 30, 2015, 3:54 PM EDT

Brendan Smith AP

RFA defenseman appeared in a career-high 76 games last year.

14. Defensemen Hunwick, Bartkowski to become UFAs

Jun 30, 2015, 3:39 PM EDT

Tampa Bay Lightning v New York Rangers - Game Seven Getty Images

Rangers and Bruins let their respective rearguards walk, thereby deepening the free agent pool.

15. Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames

Jun 30, 2015, 2:04 PM EDT

Dougie Hamilton AP

Cap hit around $5.75 million.

16. No buyout: Flyers will keep Gagner

Jun 30, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT

Arizona Coyotes v Buffalo Sabres Getty Images

Former first-round pick is relieved after a “stressful” last few days.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches