Jan 13, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Michal Handzus fought through a hip injury during a disappointing 2011-12 season with the San Jose Sharks, but he didn’t use that as excuse while sharing his hopes for a return to form with CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz.
“I know last year wasn’t good for me,” Handzus said on Friday, after skating for the first time this season at Sharks Ice. “I didn’t play well or help the team as much as I wanted to, or as much as the team wanted me to. I just put it behind me. It’s a new year, and I [will] try to prove to my teammates, management and fans that I can help the team. That’s my goal.”
Scoring wise, Handzus’ 24-point output wasn’t that far behind the 30 he scored in 2010-11, but his overall play wasn’t there. One could see an example in his diminished time on ice; the big Slovakian forward saw his minutes slide by almost three from 17:21 in 10-11 to 14:27 per game last season.
Kurz asked if some nice work overseas during the lockout shows that he merely needed to rest that troublesome hip, yet Handzus shook off that question.
“I’m not a guy that if something hurts I’m not going to play. I’m going to play through it. The only time I’m not going to play is if the doctors say no, or I can’t go,” Handzus said. “Maybe it would have helped if I took some time off, but I probably would never do that. I would still try to play through it. I’ve proved over my career that I play a lot of games hurt, and I play well. It’s one of those things that I didn’t, and it was disappointing for me.”
He’s one of several Sharks hoping to bounce back in this shortened season.
Apr 16, 2014, 1:14 AM EDT
Well, that’s good for St. Louis.
Apr 16, 2014, 12:15 AM EDT
Apr 15, 2014, 11:17 PM EDT
They’ve struggled after the Olympics.
Apr 15, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
It was a tough season in Buffalo.
Apr 15, 2014, 9:31 PM EDT
“It puts a lot more pressure on everybody else,” says Nathan MacKinnon.
Apr 15, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
After losing the No. 1 pick to Colorado last year.
Apr 15, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
Anders Lindback gets the start.
Apr 15, 2014, 7:14 PM EDT
Didn’t practice Tuesday.
Apr 15, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Heck, will Steve Mason even be available?
Apr 15, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
Just days after another group of ex-players filed last Thursday.
Apr 15, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT
What about the Stars over the Ducks?
Apr 15, 2014, 5:16 PM EDT
“He’s relentless,” according to Craig MacTavish.
Apr 15, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“I don’t think I can screw it up too bad whoever I choose.”
Apr 15, 2014, 3:13 PM EDT
The city has terminated the contract.
Apr 15, 2014, 2:39 PM EDT
You don’t say.
Apr 15, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT
“That’s not been determined yet,” said head coach Craig Berube.
Apr 15, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT
Even if they beat Minnesota, that question won’t be put to bed.
Apr 15, 2014, 1:10 PM EDT
Union College standout was a third-round pick in ’12.
Apr 15, 2014, 1:01 PM EDT
“We have no qualms whatsoever about a long-term problem with it.”
Apr 15, 2014, 12:38 PM EDT
“I’m not naive to the talk. I’ve been asked the question lots.”
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)