Jan 13, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Michal Handzus fought through a hip injury during a disappointing 2011-12 season with the San Jose Sharks, but he didn’t use that as excuse while sharing his hopes for a return to form with CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz.
“I know last year wasn’t good for me,” Handzus said on Friday, after skating for the first time this season at Sharks Ice. “I didn’t play well or help the team as much as I wanted to, or as much as the team wanted me to. I just put it behind me. It’s a new year, and I [will] try to prove to my teammates, management and fans that I can help the team. That’s my goal.”
Scoring wise, Handzus’ 24-point output wasn’t that far behind the 30 he scored in 2010-11, but his overall play wasn’t there. One could see an example in his diminished time on ice; the big Slovakian forward saw his minutes slide by almost three from 17:21 in 10-11 to 14:27 per game last season.
Kurz asked if some nice work overseas during the lockout shows that he merely needed to rest that troublesome hip, yet Handzus shook off that question.
“I’m not a guy that if something hurts I’m not going to play. I’m going to play through it. The only time I’m not going to play is if the doctors say no, or I can’t go,” Handzus said. “Maybe it would have helped if I took some time off, but I probably would never do that. I would still try to play through it. I’ve proved over my career that I play a lot of games hurt, and I play well. It’s one of those things that I didn’t, and it was disappointing for me.”
He’s one of several Sharks hoping to bounce back in this shortened season.
Mar 10, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT
“It’s a bad position, I guess.”
Mar 10, 2014, 12:56 PM EDT
Veteran winger won’t play tonight vs. Phoenix.
Mar 10, 2014, 12:44 PM EDT
The 13th overall pick in the 2010 draft.
Mar 10, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT
Tough blow for Montreal.
Mar 10, 2014, 11:56 AM EDT
With Jay Beagle and Tom Wilson.
Mar 10, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT
Deadline deal could end up being a masterstroke.
Mar 10, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Columbus is fighting hard for a spot in the postseason.
Mar 10, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT
No desire to go through a Dan Girardi/Ryan Callahan situation.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT
Welcome to modern hockey philosophy.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:19 AM EDT
He was given a double-minor on the play.
Mar 10, 2014, 8:25 AM EDT
That and the rest of the links to start the day ahead.
Mar 9, 2014, 11:27 PM EDT
St. Louis has had Minnesota’s (and the league’s) number lately.
Mar 9, 2014, 10:40 PM EDT
Los Angeles took its seventh win in a row despite the incident.
Mar 9, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT
Keeping pace with other West powers.
Mar 9, 2014, 9:03 PM EDT
Don’t worry, they won’t join the Washington Generals.
Mar 9, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Impressively, he returned to action in the second period.
Mar 9, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT
Mar 9, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
Patrick Kane comes home.
Mar 9, 2014, 7:12 PM EDT
Brian Elliott gets a rare start for St. Louis.
Mar 9, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
It might be due to an Ed Jovanovski hit.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 14
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 50
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 38
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)