Jan 13, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
Michal Handzus fought through a hip injury during a disappointing 2011-12 season with the San Jose Sharks, but he didn’t use that as excuse while sharing his hopes for a return to form with CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz.
“I know last year wasn’t good for me,” Handzus said on Friday, after skating for the first time this season at Sharks Ice. “I didn’t play well or help the team as much as I wanted to, or as much as the team wanted me to. I just put it behind me. It’s a new year, and I [will] try to prove to my teammates, management and fans that I can help the team. That’s my goal.”
Scoring wise, Handzus’ 24-point output wasn’t that far behind the 30 he scored in 2010-11, but his overall play wasn’t there. One could see an example in his diminished time on ice; the big Slovakian forward saw his minutes slide by almost three from 17:21 in 10-11 to 14:27 per game last season.
Kurz asked if some nice work overseas during the lockout shows that he merely needed to rest that troublesome hip, yet Handzus shook off that question.
“I’m not a guy that if something hurts I’m not going to play. I’m going to play through it. The only time I’m not going to play is if the doctors say no, or I can’t go,” Handzus said. “Maybe it would have helped if I took some time off, but I probably would never do that. I would still try to play through it. I’ve proved over my career that I play a lot of games hurt, and I play well. It’s one of those things that I didn’t, and it was disappointing for me.”
He’s one of several Sharks hoping to bounce back in this shortened season.
Dec 12, 2013, 8:15 PM EST
Tough time to be a Columbus goalie.
Dec 12, 2013, 7:39 PM EST
Cam Talbot was cheered upon entering the game.
Dec 12, 2013, 7:10 PM EST
No word on the severity of TT’s injury.
Dec 12, 2013, 6:27 PM EST
He’s been out with a lower-body injury.
Dec 12, 2013, 5:17 PM EST
Oilers coach wants to use “speed” and “smarts” tonight.
Dec 12, 2013, 4:40 PM EST
Oh, and Anders Nilsson sent back to AHL.
Dec 12, 2013, 4:23 PM EST
That didn’t take long.
Dec 12, 2013, 3:53 PM EST
Plus, the Rangers have issues.
Dec 12, 2013, 3:31 PM EST
Coyotes hoping “it’s not long, long-term.”
Dec 12, 2013, 3:06 PM EST
Activated off IR, will face the Flames in Calgary tonight.
Dec 12, 2013, 2:57 PM EST
Helped the Flames win their first and only Stanley Cup in 1989.
Dec 12, 2013, 2:50 PM EST
Game goes March 1 (on NBC).
Dec 12, 2013, 2:42 PM EST
News and notes from the blue paint…
Dec 12, 2013, 2:32 PM EST
Will get an MRI tomorrow.
Dec 12, 2013, 1:53 PM EST
“We want black and blue hockey.”
Dec 12, 2013, 1:51 PM EST
He broke in as a 19-year-old during the 2011-12 campaign.
Dec 12, 2013, 1:42 PM EST
Former Oilers draftee had been with AHL Adirondack.
Dec 12, 2013, 12:54 PM EST
Buffalo’s in Ottawa to play the Sens tonight.
Dec 12, 2013, 12:37 PM EST
Dec 12, 2013, 12:15 PM EST
Assistant general manager John Weisbrod also relieved of duties.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 6
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (183)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)