Jan 13, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Michal Handzus fought through a hip injury during a disappointing 2011-12 season with the San Jose Sharks, but he didn’t use that as excuse while sharing his hopes for a return to form with CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz.
“I know last year wasn’t good for me,” Handzus said on Friday, after skating for the first time this season at Sharks Ice. “I didn’t play well or help the team as much as I wanted to, or as much as the team wanted me to. I just put it behind me. It’s a new year, and I [will] try to prove to my teammates, management and fans that I can help the team. That’s my goal.”
Scoring wise, Handzus’ 24-point output wasn’t that far behind the 30 he scored in 2010-11, but his overall play wasn’t there. One could see an example in his diminished time on ice; the big Slovakian forward saw his minutes slide by almost three from 17:21 in 10-11 to 14:27 per game last season.
Kurz asked if some nice work overseas during the lockout shows that he merely needed to rest that troublesome hip, yet Handzus shook off that question.
“I’m not a guy that if something hurts I’m not going to play. I’m going to play through it. The only time I’m not going to play is if the doctors say no, or I can’t go,” Handzus said. “Maybe it would have helped if I took some time off, but I probably would never do that. I would still try to play through it. I’ve proved over my career that I play a lot of games hurt, and I play well. It’s one of those things that I didn’t, and it was disappointing for me.”
He’s one of several Sharks hoping to bounce back in this shortened season.
May 24, 2013, 7:01 PM EDT
Dan Bylsma sticking with the same lineup.
May 24, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
Kevin Prendergast (pictured) and longtime NHL netminder Ron Tugnutt were let go.
May 24, 2013, 5:08 PM EDT
“The NHL remains committed to securing the Coyotes’ future in Glendale under new ownership, and we believe Don’s long-term agreement evidences that he is equally committed,” said the deputy commish.
May 24, 2013, 4:28 PM EDT
He’s missed the entire series with a broken hand.
May 24, 2013, 4:27 PM EDT
Craig MacTavish has a few things he’d like in return.
May 24, 2013, 3:20 PM EDT
“Hopefully, we’ll find that chemistry,” says Spezza.
May 24, 2013, 3:14 PM EDT
Just a few days after turfing assistant coach Peter Horachek.
May 24, 2013, 2:51 PM EDT
Aside from, you know, facing elimination from the Stanley Cup playoffs.
May 24, 2013, 2:47 PM EDT
Chin up, rookie.
May 24, 2013, 2:11 PM EDT
Say hello to Curtis McElhinney.
May 24, 2013, 2:08 PM EDT
Torts not expected to make any lineup changes.
May 24, 2013, 1:51 PM EDT
Rangers’ blueliner saw plenty of action in Game 4, though.
May 24, 2013, 1:31 PM EDT
If so, do you like it?
May 24, 2013, 1:12 PM EDT
He was Guy Boucher’s right-hand man, so no huge surprise.
May 24, 2013, 12:59 PM EDT
The postgame comment that just won’t go away.
May 24, 2013, 12:40 PM EDT
The Red Wings’ star may go back to Russia after next season.
May 24, 2013, 11:48 AM EDT
Back in Vegas next year.
May 24, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Rare criticism for the Blackhawks’ captain.
May 24, 2013, 10:36 AM EDT
SKA Saint Petersburg would be the club.
May 24, 2013, 9:52 AM EDT
“(He’s) a hell of a hockey player.”
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 4
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 16
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 64
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights