Jan 13, 2013, 6:50 PM EDT
Vancouver Canucks GM Mike Gillis fired back at critics who argue that Roberto Luongo‘s long-term contract is a roadblock to any potential trade.
“There’s been a lot more interest in Roberto than people wanted to recognize because the contract was onerous or difficult,” Gillis said in a Vancouver Sun report.
“That has never been mentioned to me by one team. I know some people like to make a big deal of that but it’s a very friendly contract for a lot of reasons. That’s one of the reasons why in the new collective agreement there are penalties and you can’t sign these types of contracts because they are favorable. So contract is not an issue.”
The all-star goaltender will turn 34 in April and comes with an annual cap hit of $5,333,333 through 2021-22. As a result of the “Luongo rule,” his team will not be completely spared from his cap hit even if he decides to retire before his contract is over.
The new CBA also allows the Canucks to retain a portion of his cap hit and salary in an effort to make his contract more appealing to potential suitors. However, Vancouver isn’t eager to do that.
“I haven’t talked to anyone about keeping a portion of his contract,” Gillis said. “Is that off the table? No, I mean everything is on the table when you talk about those things. There are concepts you can discuss. But Roberto is an all-star goaltender and I don’t feel compelled or see any reason why we would go down that path with a player of this caliber.”
Gillis is believed to be looking for a roster player and a good prospect in exchange for the Montreal-native. For his part, Luongo is willing to be patient with the Canucks.
May 25, 2013, 6:37 PM EDT
Impressive flash of the glove by Hank.
May 25, 2013, 6:21 PM EDT
New York Rangers forward was stirring the pot for a while.
May 25, 2013, 5:31 PM EDT
Looks like Dougie Hamilton is the odd man out.
May 25, 2013, 5:09 PM EDT
He’s been out with a broken hand.
May 25, 2013, 4:17 PM EDT
He avoided a fight in Game 4.
May 25, 2013, 3:07 PM EDT
Desperation calls for tinkering.
May 25, 2013, 1:41 PM EDT
This saga isn’t quite over yet.
May 25, 2013, 1:12 PM EDT
Kids will learn how to hit later.
May 25, 2013, 11:42 AM EDT
This sounds a bit familiar.
May 25, 2013, 10:51 AM EDT
He was Philly’s coach for four years.
May 25, 2013, 9:57 AM EDT
Chicago and New York look to live another day.
May 25, 2013, 9:18 AM EDT
His blue line experience was missed.
May 25, 2013, 2:08 AM EDT
One loss away from elimination.
May 25, 2013, 1:03 AM EDT
Future of the NHL.
May 25, 2013, 12:20 AM EDT
Now, that’s a toe-drag.
May 24, 2013, 11:56 PM EDT
Was Friday’s loss his last NHL games?
May 24, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT
Pittsburgh wins in five games.
May 24, 2013, 10:47 PM EDT
Bad blood, although this seemed unnecessary.
May 24, 2013, 10:31 PM EDT
Big developments coming out of the desert.
May 24, 2013, 10:27 PM EDT
Await winner of Boston-New York.
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 66
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 32
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 8
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination