Jan 13, 2013, 8:46 PM EDT
Petr Sykora reportedly has at least one NHL offer on the table, but it’s not from New Jersey.
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello isn’t looking to re-sign the 36-year old forward “at this point.”
“We made a decision over the last 24 to 48 hours that we’re going to give a couple of the young kids who have played very well in the minors an opportunity,” Lamoriello said, according to the Bergen Record. “We also feel the way a couple of players played last year and where they can play.”
Lamoriello’s answer suggests that the Devils might change their mind if some of those young players don’t live up to expectations.
Sykora previously stated that his preference is to re-sign with the team that selected him with the 18th overall pick in the 1995 NHL Entry Draft.
He stayed within the organization until he was dealt to Anaheim in the summer of 2002. He finally rejoined the Devils for the 2011-12 campaign and recorded 21 goals and 44 points in 82 games.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 45
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)