Jan 13, 2013, 8:46 PM EST
Petr Sykora reportedly has at least one NHL offer on the table, but it’s not from New Jersey.
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello isn’t looking to re-sign the 36-year old forward “at this point.”
“We made a decision over the last 24 to 48 hours that we’re going to give a couple of the young kids who have played very well in the minors an opportunity,” Lamoriello said, according to the Bergen Record. “We also feel the way a couple of players played last year and where they can play.”
Lamoriello’s answer suggests that the Devils might change their mind if some of those young players don’t live up to expectations.
Sykora previously stated that his preference is to re-sign with the team that selected him with the 18th overall pick in the 1995 NHL Entry Draft.
He stayed within the organization until he was dealt to Anaheim in the summer of 2002. He finally rejoined the Devils for the 2011-12 campaign and recorded 21 goals and 44 points in 82 games.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 22
- BREAKING: Flames fire Feaster 34
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 77
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)