Jan 13, 2013, 8:46 PM EDT
Petr Sykora reportedly has at least one NHL offer on the table, but it’s not from New Jersey.
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello isn’t looking to re-sign the 36-year old forward “at this point.”
“We made a decision over the last 24 to 48 hours that we’re going to give a couple of the young kids who have played very well in the minors an opportunity,” Lamoriello said, according to the Bergen Record. “We also feel the way a couple of players played last year and where they can play.”
Lamoriello’s answer suggests that the Devils might change their mind if some of those young players don’t live up to expectations.
Sykora previously stated that his preference is to re-sign with the team that selected him with the 18th overall pick in the 1995 NHL Entry Draft.
He stayed within the organization until he was dealt to Anaheim in the summer of 2002. He finally rejoined the Devils for the 2011-12 campaign and recorded 21 goals and 44 points in 82 games.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 15
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 48
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 86
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 20
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (87)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games