Jan 13, 2013, 11:21 AM EST
Capitals defenseman Tom Poti hasn’t played since January 2011, but his road to recovery is almost at an end.
Washington announced they’ve assigned him to AHL Hershey on a conditioning assignment as Stephen Whyno of the Washington Times shares.
On the upside, Poti passed his physical so he is healthy, but on the downside he’s got to spend time in the minors. At most, he’ll be in Hershey for 14 days for conditioning purposes. It’s possible he could be waived to stay down there longer.
If Poti can prove he’s all the way back and capable of contributing to an NHL roster, it’s possible Washington could move him. After over two years away from playing in the league, however, that might be a hard sell.
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 3
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 48
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)