Canadiens send Scott Gomez home for the season, buyout coming this summer

Jan 13, 2013, 10:32 AM EDT

Scott Gomez Getty Images

Scott Gomez‘s time as a Montreal Canadiens forward is over.

GM Marc Bergevin addressed media this morning to say The Habs were sending Gomez home for the season, for the express purpose of buying him out this summer.

This is the safest route for teams to take with players they’re looking to use one of their compliance buyouts on, as injured players aren’t allowed to be bought out.

The downside for Montreal is Gomez’s $7.357 million cap hit — it sits on the books no matter what this season.

If this all sounds familiar, it’s because it’s the same strategy the New York Rangers will likely use on defenseman Wade Redden.

Gomez’s tenure in Montreal was an ugly one that saw him score just 21 goals in three seasons with the Habs.

His season last year was interrupted by injury and saw him play just 38 games. He has one more year left on his contract after this one with a cap hit of $7.357 million. His buyout this summer will cost the Habs $4.5 million.

1. mclovinhockey - Jan 13, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Could have just sent him to the minors, prob would have been picked up by teams who need to hit cap floor… Depending on what that is, really need to read the new CBA Hana, oh well since I live in Montreal I am so happy he is gone but when the cap hit will count anyway should put him on waivers… Unless it would still count in the minors… Like I said, need to read the CBA

• bcsteele - Jan 13, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Problem is if he gets injured in the minors they can’t buy him out. Which leaves themvwith an off chance of screwing your team over for the duration of the entire contract.

So you’ve got to ask yourself one question, do I feel lucky? Well do ya, punk?

• jackieaxe - Jan 14, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Unless another shoe drops (a partial buyout trade to the Devils), I say SENT HIM TO THE MINORS. If he doesn’t play this year you’re out $7M and all you save is $4.5 next year. I’d make it hurt a little. Gomez is overpriced. Maybe he can buy the Bulldogs a new bus!

2. uscthom78 - Jan 13, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Another american sees the door.

3. martysbetter - Jan 13, 2013 at 11:23 AM

70% chance he ends up back on the Devils, it just seems to happen that way.

4. hockeyflow33 - Jan 13, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Wow, what a classless move. I’m sorry but how do you not feel bad for Gomez in this instance, (not counting the $7m).

• danphipps01 - Jan 13, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Uh… because he literally cannot play at the NHL level anymore? He had three years’ worth of chances. He botched them all.

• misterchainbluelightning - Jan 13, 2013 at 1:13 PM

What a stupid comment

5. vbcaps - Jan 13, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Its simple, with the kind of money he is paid he is not putting up the numbers…i dont see how this isn’t any more cut and dry

• soj83 - Jan 13, 2013 at 3:31 PM

agreed, much like the case of Redden, if he was getting 1 mil a year he would have a spot on the roster.

6. mclovinhockey - Jan 13, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Haha bcsteele, great comment and very true : )

7. zetaone - Jan 13, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Wish I could be sent home and paid millions upon millions of dollars for failing at my job.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jan 13, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I’m such a generous person, I’d be willing to do nothing for just half his salary.

8. habsman - Jan 13, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Obviously, it’s going to take a bit of time to recover from the Pierre Gauthier era.

9. chaser44 - Jan 13, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I just watched him score a couple for the Alaska aces in the echl. He is a god in Alaska.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jan 13, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Sorry, but I just have to: Not to question Alaska’s standards but they elected Sarah Palin governor.

10. hawkeyplayer - Jan 13, 2013 at 6:18 PM

he HAS BEEN PLAYING in the minors.

ECHL ALASKA ACES.

11. uscthom78 - Jan 13, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Max and Carey next. Turns out Rene Bourque is from western canada, he will be shown the door. Sacre Bleu!

12. rushledger - Jan 13, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Hard to even feel remotely bad for him because he’s still gonna make 11.8 million dollars to not play a game for the next 18 months.

13. dannythebisforbeast - Jan 13, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Don’t remember this happening in prior years. I guess it’s the new CBA. So now you have old guys that may have been a veteran presence on another time banished from the league for a year. I mean Gomez sucked but what about someone who is better but has a terrible contract team wants to buyout.

14. valoisvipers - Jan 14, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Ah, This was the year he was going to score 50.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches