Jan 13, 2013, 7:25 AM EDT
One thing we’re sure to see plenty of in the next few days is seeing veteran players get invites to this week’s abbreviated training camp.
One such player is former Sharks and Blues forward Brad Winchester who has landed an invitation to camp with the Calgary Flames. The professional tryout gives him a chance to earn a spot with the veteran club and fortunately for him, the Flames are a team that could use veteran depth up front.
Last season with San Jose, Winchester played in 67 games scoring six goals with four assists as well as 88 penalty minutes. With Calgary likely not bringing back free agent Tom Kostopolous, Winchester could fill a grinder role on the third or fourth line should he make the team.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 0
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 1
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 19
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 71
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (71)