Jan 13, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
While the St. Louis Blues exceeded just about everyone’s expectations last season, Chris Stewart had a hugely disappointing campaign. He told the St. Louis News-Democrat that he hopes to ride a vigorous offseason and some overseas play into a bounce-back year.
“This is the leanest I’ve ever been in my life,” Stewart said. “I’m excited to put the training into results and help this team win a Stanley Cup.”
Ken Hitchcock took notice after seeing him work out.
“He’s done three things: He’s lost weight, he’s in great shape and he’s focused,” Hitchcock said. “He’s done a heck of a job. He looks great, he looks like a different player on the ice. When you see him skate he’s way more fluid … he looks really good.”
Despite that down 2011-12 campaign, St. Louis decided to give the power forward a mulligan in the form of a one-year, $3 million contract in the offseason. In return for that extra chance, the Blues hope for a scoring boost.
St. Louis managed to win the Central Division last season even despite scoring the second fewest goals (210) among Western Conference playoff teams, yet one wonders if they can walk that tight rope again. A productive Stewart could provide some helpful breathing room – and benefit the budding power forward;s bank account in the process.
Oct 26, 2014, 12:54 AM EDT
Jumping around a busy Saturday night.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
Was it a dirty hit?
Oct 25, 2014, 11:11 PM EDT
Patric Hornqvist didn’t star, but grabbed an assist.
Oct 25, 2014, 10:41 PM EDT
Seems like a broken record, right?
Oct 25, 2014, 10:09 PM EDT
Maybe the headline should read goaltending optional instead?
Oct 25, 2014, 9:35 PM EDT
Dougie Hamilton’s had a strong night.
Oct 25, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT
Challenging night for Tampa Bay.
Oct 25, 2014, 8:38 PM EDT
Things didn’t look particularly “right” on Saturday.
Oct 25, 2014, 7:48 PM EDT
Oct 25, 2014, 6:57 PM EDT
Habs face Chris Kreider, David Backes vs. Brent Seabrook on Saturday.
Oct 25, 2014, 6:44 PM EDT
Yikes on so many levels.
Oct 25, 2014, 6:26 PM EDT
Patric Hornqvist plays in Nashville as a visitor for the first time.
Oct 25, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
The 21-year-old was recalled Friday.
Oct 25, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
No penalty on the play.
Oct 25, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
The rookie defensmen were recalled Friday.
Oct 25, 2014, 4:02 PM EDT
A rematch of last spring’s playoff series.
Oct 25, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Suffered a skate cut to his right eyelid Friday night.
Oct 25, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Antti Raanta and Brian Elliott go head-to-head as the Blackhawks and Blues battle in St. Louis.
Oct 25, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
The coach was quick to call home following Wednesday’s practice.
Oct 25, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
The Habs’ starter was injured in Game 1 of last spring’s Eastern Conference final against New York.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)