Jan 13, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
While the St. Louis Blues exceeded just about everyone’s expectations last season, Chris Stewart had a hugely disappointing campaign. He told the St. Louis News-Democrat that he hopes to ride a vigorous offseason and some overseas play into a bounce-back year.
“This is the leanest I’ve ever been in my life,” Stewart said. “I’m excited to put the training into results and help this team win a Stanley Cup.”
Ken Hitchcock took notice after seeing him work out.
“He’s done three things: He’s lost weight, he’s in great shape and he’s focused,” Hitchcock said. “He’s done a heck of a job. He looks great, he looks like a different player on the ice. When you see him skate he’s way more fluid … he looks really good.”
Despite that down 2011-12 campaign, St. Louis decided to give the power forward a mulligan in the form of a one-year, $3 million contract in the offseason. In return for that extra chance, the Blues hope for a scoring boost.
St. Louis managed to win the Central Division last season even despite scoring the second fewest goals (210) among Western Conference playoff teams, yet one wonders if they can walk that tight rope again. A productive Stewart could provide some helpful breathing room – and benefit the budding power forward;s bank account in the process.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 15
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 46
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 20
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 34
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)