Jan 12, 2013, 9:15 AM EST
With the lockout dragging on, the New York Islanders finally determined their future when they committed to moving to Brooklyn in 2015-16.
When the news broke, John Tavares was playing for SC Bern in Switzerland, but he said the announcement came as “a big relief for everybody.”
“We needed to find a home and we did,” Tavares said, according to Newsday. “We found a way to still be on the Island even though it’s not really where we wanted to be. This is something that should ease a lot of guys’ minds in the years to come.”
All the same, the fact that they’ll have to leave Nassau County makes the news bittersweet.
“Believe it or not,” he said, “we’re going to miss Nassau and miss the Coliseum.”
The hope is that the Islanders will have an easier time attracting free agents now that they have a new home, although Tavares ultimately thinks that their play on the ice will determine what free agents they can lure over.
As far as Tavares goes, he’s made a commitment with the Islanders through the 2017-18 campaign, so he’ll remain the face of the franchise well into his prime.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 21
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)