Jan 12, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
With the lockout dragging on, the New York Islanders finally determined their future when they committed to moving to Brooklyn in 2015-16.
When the news broke, John Tavares was playing for SC Bern in Switzerland, but he said the announcement came as “a big relief for everybody.”
“We needed to find a home and we did,” Tavares said, according to Newsday. “We found a way to still be on the Island even though it’s not really where we wanted to be. This is something that should ease a lot of guys’ minds in the years to come.”
All the same, the fact that they’ll have to leave Nassau County makes the news bittersweet.
“Believe it or not,” he said, “we’re going to miss Nassau and miss the Coliseum.”
The hope is that the Islanders will have an easier time attracting free agents now that they have a new home, although Tavares ultimately thinks that their play on the ice will determine what free agents they can lure over.
As far as Tavares goes, he’s made a commitment with the Islanders through the 2017-18 campaign, so he’ll remain the face of the franchise well into his prime.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)