Jan 12, 2013, 8:07 PM EDT
Once the Memorandum of Understanding finally is signed (and the parade of painful Twitter jokes mercifully dissolves), NHL GMs are expected to begin a wave of moves. One of them should involve the Philadelphia Flyers signing defenseman Kurtis Foster, CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio reports.
It’s well known that the Flyers are in need of defensive help. A team that looked awfully leaky at times during the playoffs lost Matt Carle in the offseason while players such as Andrej Meszaros are banged up or getting long in the tooth (and Shea Weber isn’t walking through that door).
Foster isn’t renowned for being a shutdown guy by any means, yet he boasts impressive size and a ferocious slap shot.
(He’s also known for recovering from a frightening injury that brought icing rules into question.)
The big blueliner bounced around the league in 2010-11, playing 51 total games between the Anaheim Ducks, New Jersey Devils and Minnesota Wild. He also stayed active during the lockout by playing in Finland.
It’s unlikely he’ll be a significant difference-maker, but the Flyers could certainly use more depth.
UPDATE (1/13/13 8:36 a.m. ET): Anthony SanFilippo of the Flyers’ website reports they will sign him. One year, $950,000.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 15
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 37
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)