Jan 12, 2013, 8:07 PM EDT
Once the Memorandum of Understanding finally is signed (and the parade of painful Twitter jokes mercifully dissolves), NHL GMs are expected to begin a wave of moves. One of them should involve the Philadelphia Flyers signing defenseman Kurtis Foster, CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio reports.
It’s well known that the Flyers are in need of defensive help. A team that looked awfully leaky at times during the playoffs lost Matt Carle in the offseason while players such as Andrej Meszaros are banged up or getting long in the tooth (and Shea Weber isn’t walking through that door).
Foster isn’t renowned for being a shutdown guy by any means, yet he boasts impressive size and a ferocious slap shot.
(He’s also known for recovering from a frightening injury that brought icing rules into question.)
The big blueliner bounced around the league in 2010-11, playing 51 total games between the Anaheim Ducks, New Jersey Devils and Minnesota Wild. He also stayed active during the lockout by playing in Finland.
It’s unlikely he’ll be a significant difference-maker, but the Flyers could certainly use more depth.
UPDATE (1/13/13 8:36 a.m. ET): Anthony SanFilippo of the Flyers’ website reports they will sign him. One year, $950,000.
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 0
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 8
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 15
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 4
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)