Jan 12, 2013, 8:07 PM EDT
Once the Memorandum of Understanding finally is signed (and the parade of painful Twitter jokes mercifully dissolves), NHL GMs are expected to begin a wave of moves. One of them should involve the Philadelphia Flyers signing defenseman Kurtis Foster, CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio reports.
It’s well known that the Flyers are in need of defensive help. A team that looked awfully leaky at times during the playoffs lost Matt Carle in the offseason while players such as Andrej Meszaros are banged up or getting long in the tooth (and Shea Weber isn’t walking through that door).
Foster isn’t renowned for being a shutdown guy by any means, yet he boasts impressive size and a ferocious slap shot.
(He’s also known for recovering from a frightening injury that brought icing rules into question.)
The big blueliner bounced around the league in 2010-11, playing 51 total games between the Anaheim Ducks, New Jersey Devils and Minnesota Wild. He also stayed active during the lockout by playing in Finland.
It’s unlikely he’ll be a significant difference-maker, but the Flyers could certainly use more depth.
UPDATE (1/13/13 8:36 a.m. ET): Anthony SanFilippo of the Flyers’ website reports they will sign him. One year, $950,000.
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 14
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)