Jan 12, 2013, 8:07 PM EDT
Once the Memorandum of Understanding finally is signed (and the parade of painful Twitter jokes mercifully dissolves), NHL GMs are expected to begin a wave of moves. One of them should involve the Philadelphia Flyers signing defenseman Kurtis Foster, CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio reports.
It’s well known that the Flyers are in need of defensive help. A team that looked awfully leaky at times during the playoffs lost Matt Carle in the offseason while players such as Andrej Meszaros are banged up or getting long in the tooth (and Shea Weber isn’t walking through that door).
Foster isn’t renowned for being a shutdown guy by any means, yet he boasts impressive size and a ferocious slap shot.
(He’s also known for recovering from a frightening injury that brought icing rules into question.)
The big blueliner bounced around the league in 2010-11, playing 51 total games between the Anaheim Ducks, New Jersey Devils and Minnesota Wild. He also stayed active during the lockout by playing in Finland.
It’s unlikely he’ll be a significant difference-maker, but the Flyers could certainly use more depth.
UPDATE (1/13/13 8:36 a.m. ET): Anthony SanFilippo of the Flyers’ website reports they will sign him. One year, $950,000.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Pens’ Rutherford to columnist: ‘You’re a (expletive) jerk’ 38
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 31
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 45
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 100
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 6
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)