Jan 12, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals are bringing a familiar face back into the fold.
The team will reportedly sign forward Eric Fehr to a prorated one-year, $600,000 contract, according to the Washington Post.
Fehr, 27, was Washington’s first-round pick (18th overall) in the ballyhooed 2003 Entry Draft, and spent his first six NHL seasons in the nation’s capital, scoring a career-high 21 goals in 2008-09.
He was traded to Winnipeg last July and suffered through a disappointing year with the Jets, missing extensive time with a shoulder injury. Fehr only appeared in 35 games (2G-1A-3PTS) and wasn’t offered a new deal prior to the CBA expiring on Sept. 15.
Undeterred, Fehr inked with HPK of the Finnish league during the lockout and drew the attention of numerous clubs with his play. He racked up 25 points in 21 games and apparently had a number of suitors interested in his services.
Fehr will be taking a significant pay cut in his Washington return — he was making $2.2 million annually on his old deal.
Of note, contracts cannot be made official until the new collective bargaining agreement has been ratified.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 53
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 32
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 28
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 16
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)