Jan 12, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals are bringing a familiar face back into the fold.
The team will reportedly sign forward Eric Fehr to a prorated one-year, $600,000 contract, according to the Washington Post.
Fehr, 27, was Washington’s first-round pick (18th overall) in the ballyhooed 2003 Entry Draft, and spent his first six NHL seasons in the nation’s capital, scoring a career-high 21 goals in 2008-09.
He was traded to Winnipeg last July and suffered through a disappointing year with the Jets, missing extensive time with a shoulder injury. Fehr only appeared in 35 games (2G-1A-3PTS) and wasn’t offered a new deal prior to the CBA expiring on Sept. 15.
Undeterred, Fehr inked with HPK of the Finnish league during the lockout and drew the attention of numerous clubs with his play. He racked up 25 points in 21 games and apparently had a number of suitors interested in his services.
Fehr will be taking a significant pay cut in his Washington return — he was making $2.2 million annually on his old deal.
Of note, contracts cannot be made official until the new collective bargaining agreement has been ratified.
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 2
- Video: Patrick Kane scores a beauty against Buffalo 1
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 28
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)