Jan 12, 2013, 10:05 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings aren’t shy about embracing veterans, so perhaps it makes sense that they’re giving 40-year-old winger Mike Knuble a training camp tryout, according to CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley.
“No contract,” Knuble said in a text message. “Just a chance.”
Knuble is coming off a 2011-12 season in which he saw a huge drop-off in his production. After his eighth consecutive 20+ goal season in 2010-11, Knuble failed to even get 20 points in 2011-12, putting up 18 in 72 games.
To some, that might indicate that the power forward is at the end of the road. On the other hand, it seems reasonable to give a productive goal-scorer a chance to prove it was just an offseason, though MLive.com’s Ansar Khan explains why the odds are against him:
He is longshot to earn a spot on a crowded roster that includes 14 healthy forwards, plus Patrick Eaves, who will start the season on injured reserve due to a concussion. The Red Wings also have a few apparently NHL-ready forwards with the Grand Rapids Griffins.
Knuble has defied convention before in his career, however. After a middling hockey career through his twenties, The forward scored 30 goals for the first time when he turned 30 in 2002-03.
Maybe he’s just a player who succeeds the most when it’s unexpected, then.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 21
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 90
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (92)