Jan 12, 2013, 10:05 PM EST
The Detroit Red Wings aren’t shy about embracing veterans, so perhaps it makes sense that they’re giving 40-year-old winger Mike Knuble a training camp tryout, according to CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley.
“No contract,” Knuble said in a text message. “Just a chance.”
Knuble is coming off a 2011-12 season in which he saw a huge drop-off in his production. After his eighth consecutive 20+ goal season in 2010-11, Knuble failed to even get 20 points in 2011-12, putting up 18 in 72 games.
To some, that might indicate that the power forward is at the end of the road. On the other hand, it seems reasonable to give a productive goal-scorer a chance to prove it was just an offseason, though MLive.com’s Ansar Khan explains why the odds are against him:
He is longshot to earn a spot on a crowded roster that includes 14 healthy forwards, plus Patrick Eaves, who will start the season on injured reserve due to a concussion. The Red Wings also have a few apparently NHL-ready forwards with the Grand Rapids Griffins.
Knuble has defied convention before in his career, however. After a middling hockey career through his twenties, The forward scored 30 goals for the first time when he turned 30 in 2002-03.
Maybe he’s just a player who succeeds the most when it’s unexpected, then.
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 2
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 30
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 96
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (96)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)