Jan 12, 2013, 3:06 PM EST
Penguins defenseman Kris Letang sure seemed to have funny timing. When he signed his deal to play in the KHL it turned out to be just two days before the NHL and the players reached an agreement to end the lockout.
As he tells Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, getting to go to Russia to just see how they did things was fun enough for him.
“The (KHL) deal was done a long time ago. It was just a question of timing,” Letang said. “Even if the lockout was closer to an end, they asked me to come anyways and to check out the facility and the way they were managing the team. It was a good experience.”
That question of timing turned out to be rather poorly answered when it was all said and done as Letang didn’t play a game for SKA St. Petersburg. The Penguins will need to have a fully healthy and focused Letang along the blue line for the shortened season. Hopefully his Russian “experience” didn’t hinder his training during the lockout.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 38
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 81
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)