Jan 12, 2013, 2:12 PM EDT
Lubomir Visnovsky‘s saga with the New York Islanders has taken yet another crazy twist.
Arthur Staple of New York Newsday reports the team booked a flight out of Slovakia for the offensive defense to head to Long Island and take his physical with the team. The problem? Visnovsky didn’t get on the plane.
This latest development only comes days after his agent, Neil Sheehy, said he’d play for the Islanders if he had to thanks to the KHL and NHL respecting one another’s contracts.
If it were up to Visnovsky, he’d stay in Slovakia with his family and continue to play for his KHL squad. The Isles would much rather have him fulfill his NHL contract after trading for him this summer. One way or another, this situation is headed for an awkward solution of one kind or another but this latest twist was summed up rather well by Staple.
Also, I believe this is the plot of Taken 3.—
Arthur Staple (@StapeNewsday) January 12, 2013
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)