Jan 12, 2013, 2:12 PM EDT
Lubomir Visnovsky‘s saga with the New York Islanders has taken yet another crazy twist.
Arthur Staple of New York Newsday reports the team booked a flight out of Slovakia for the offensive defense to head to Long Island and take his physical with the team. The problem? Visnovsky didn’t get on the plane.
This latest development only comes days after his agent, Neil Sheehy, said he’d play for the Islanders if he had to thanks to the KHL and NHL respecting one another’s contracts.
If it were up to Visnovsky, he’d stay in Slovakia with his family and continue to play for his KHL squad. The Isles would much rather have him fulfill his NHL contract after trading for him this summer. One way or another, this situation is headed for an awkward solution of one kind or another but this latest twist was summed up rather well by Staple.
Also, I believe this is the plot of Taken 3.—
Arthur Staple (@StapeNewsday) January 12, 2013
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 8
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 3
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 9
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)