Jan 12, 2013, 11:50 PM EDT
It’s official, hockey’s back.
Now, we know that deep down, you weren’t dying to see the new schedule or for games to start; instead, you just really want to read every little detail of the new CBA. Well, you’re in luck. This link includes detailed notes covering points both big and small.
For those very few who don’t print out vast scrolls of legal jargon so they can enjoy a good fireside read in a tasteful robe,* here are some highlights and quirks:
- Drug testing has been modified so that it can randomly take place during the summer, regular season and playoffs. A specific person must be placed in charge of monitoring players’ prescription drug use, as well.
- Excluding this shortened season, teams must play between six and eight preseason games.
- Players can be fined up to $10K for a disciplinary issue. Subsequent infractions can result in a fine up to $15K.
- Guys without entry-level contracts won’t have to share hotel rooms starting in 2013-14 (sorry rookies). Best part: no one can mock you for ordering the latest Katherine Heigl romantic comedy on pay-per-view! Unless they can hear you crying …
- The old dudes don’t get every break, though; 35+ contracts haven’t changed. The long-term injured reserve rules remain the same, too.
- Minimum salaries go from $525K in 2012-13 to $550K in 13-14 and 14-15, $575K in 15-16 and 16-17, $650K in 17-18 and 18-19, $700K in 19-20 and 20-21 and finally $750K in 21-22.
- Hockey will be on hiatus during the holidays. Specifically, the NHL will go on a break for Christmas, typically ranging from Dec. 24-26.
Feel free to add interesting insights of your own if you’re willing to brave that woolly beast of a document.
* – Fancy pipe optional.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)