Jan 11, 2013, 10:53 AM EDT
Tonight’s doubleheader features a Team USA World Junior gold medalist playing at a legendary rink in the first game and a WCHA showdown in the second.
Princeton Tigers (5-7-4) vs. No. 17 Union College Dutchmen (9-6-4) – 7:30 p.m. ET
The Dutchmen haven’t had quite the follow-up to their Frozen Four season last year. Union has won just once in their last eight games going 1-4-3 in that stretch. Sophomore Team USA star Shayne Gostisbehere has been part of a steady attack for the team scoring five goals with eight assists this year. If Union is going to snap out of it and start making another run for the NCAA tournament, doing damage in conference against teams like Princeton is the way to do it.
Princeton, meanwhile, are winners of two in a row beating out Ivy League rivals Harvard and Dartmouth. Back on December 1 they earned a 4-4 tie with Union in Schenectady. Now that they’re on a mini-roll and on their home ice at Hobey Baker Rink, they’re hoping to keep the good times going.
NHL prospects to watch: Union has a pair of them in Gostisbehere (Philadelphia) and freshman defenseman Tim Boyle (Ottawa). They also have solid undrafted players like Kyle Bodie, Wayne Simpson, and senior defenseman Greg Coburn, brother of Flyers blue liner Braydon Coburn. Last year’s Hobey Baker finalist Troy Grosenick still leads the way in goal.
Princeton rolls with Ottawa prospect, senior defenseman Michael Sdao. You’ll see their best offensive talent in forwards Andrew Calof, Tyler Maugeri, and Andrew Ammon. Senior goalie Mike Condon has been strong this season.
No. 9 Denver Pioneers (12-6-3) vs. No. 13 Nebraska-Omaha Mavericks (13-8-1) – 10:05 p.m. ET
The last time we saw Denver on NBCSN, I was busy throwing the hex on them as they tied Wisconsin 1-1. That came in the middle of a spell that saw them go winless in eight straight (0-5-3). Since then they’ve won three in a row with a win over Boston University and a sweep of Cornell at home last weekend that didn’t sit too well with Big Red coach Mike Schafer.
Now they’re back into the WCHA schedule facing a Nebraska-Omaha team riding high off their weekend sweep of Colorado College last week. The Mavericks had a bit of bad news this week as Flyers prospect goalie Anthony Stolarz departed for the OHL. On the upside, recently absent goalie Ryan Massa has come back thanks to his departure.
NHL prospects to watch: Denver rolls with Kings prospect Nick Shore as he leads the team in scoring. Oilers prospect defenseman Joey LaLeggia is another guy to keep your eye on. Zac Larraza (F-Phoenix), Scott Mayfield (D-NY Islanders), Josiah Didier (D-Montreal), and Sam Brittain (G-Florida) are other prospects the Pioneers are rolling with.
UNO has Penguins prospect forward Josh Archibald to keep your eyes on. Senior defenseman Bryce Aneloski (Ottawa) is another guy who will see big minutes. Nick Seeler (D-Minnesota), Brent Gwidt (F-Washington), Tanner Lane (F-Winnipeg), and Brian Cooper (D-Anaheim) are the others to keep an eye on. Undrafted forward Ryan Walters is their go-to guy.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 9
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 51
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (54)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)