Jan 11, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Veteran winger Petr Sykora has at least one NHL gig lined up for the shortened season, according to the Newark Star-Ledger’s Rich Chere.
Sykora told Chere that the New Jersey Devils are his first choice, but it’s unclear if that one NHL gig is code for the Devils or not. The good news – at least according to Sykora – is that he won’t need to go through a training camp tryout like he did before the 2010-11 season.
Chere passes along a rumor that the Washington Capitals are interested, but GM George McPhee denies making contact – possibly because the CBA hasn’t been ratified yet.
The 36-year-old winger should be reasonably marketable after scoring 21 goals and 44 points in 82 regular season games for the Devils last season.
Are there any other teams who would could use Sykora’s scoring touch?
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 8
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 47
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (48)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)