Jan 11, 2013, 5:41 PM EDT
Wayne Simmonds enjoyed his stints in the Czech Republic and Germany during the lockout, but it was still a big adjustment for him.
“It’s a different game completely,” Simmonds said in a CSNPhilly report.
In the European leagues he played for, he found that fighting was less common, but “guys take more liberties.”
The Philadelphia Flyers winger has made his living in the NHL as a physical forward and felt he needed to take a stand to prevent his opponents from taking cheap shots. Before he did that, he said his opponents would grab onto his jersey and frequently obstruct him.
“You’ve got to stand up for yourself and make a statement early on,” Simmonds said. “They pretty much left me alone after that.”
Simmonds had six points and 16 penalty minutes in six games with Liberec Bili Tygri HC of the Czech league and another 14 points and 35 PIM in nine contests with Crimmitschau ETC of Germany’s second-tier league.
Now that the lockout is over, he’ll begin his second season with the Philadelphia Flyers after scoring a career-high 28 goals in 2011-12.
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 0
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 5
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 20
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 16
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 18
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 19
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 71
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 101
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 20
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement