Jan 11, 2013, 12:52 PM EDT
Sounds like Brian Rolston’s prepared to hang up his skates.
The veteran winger told Mike Russo of the Minnesota Star-Tribune he’s “more than likely” to retire in the wake of the NHL lockout.
Rolston, 39, split last season between the Islanders and Bruins — appearing in 70 games while recording 7G-17A-24PTS — but was unable to secure a new deal prior to the CBA expiring on Sept. 15.
Now, he and a handful of other veteran UFAs (Brendan Morrison, Andrew Brunette, Mike Knuble, Dwayne Roloson, etc.) are facing the prospect of becoming lockout casualties — guys that prepared for the work stoppage to end their playing days, but weren’t 100 percent ready to exit the game.
“I’ve had a great career,” Rolston said. “You play for 17 years, I’m very content. At the same time you have that feeling like, ‘Am I really done?’ You’ve been doing it so long, you feel like you have to go back and do something.
“But I’m happy if this is the end of my career. I’ve faced the reality of that.”
Rolston’s career achievements are many. He played in over 1,200 NHL contests and was a four time 30-goal scorer, making the All-Star Team in 2006-07.
Internationally, he represented the U.S. at three Olympic Games — 1994, 2002, 2006 — capturing silver in ’02 at Salt Lake.
His crowning achievement, though, was winning a Stanley Cup in his first year in the NHL (1994-95). Rolston appeared in six playoff games for the Devils, notching an assist in the Cup-clinching victory over Detroit.
May 20, 2013, 9:01 AM EDT
He had no points and seven fights.
May 20, 2013, 8:03 AM EDT
Game 3 will start at 7:30 p.m. ET.
May 20, 2013, 7:15 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
May 20, 2013, 1:56 AM EDT
Had success as a QMJHL coach in Quebec.
May 20, 2013, 1:28 AM EDT
That close to going up 3-0.
May 20, 2013, 12:55 AM EDT
May 20, 2013, 12:04 AM EDT
May 19, 2013, 11:48 PM EDT
Ottawa back in the series.
May 19, 2013, 11:20 PM EDT
Looked like a minor penalty. Went undetected.
May 19, 2013, 10:51 PM EDT
May 19, 2013, 9:55 PM EDT
Tried to sell it. Didn’t work.
May 19, 2013, 9:33 PM EDT
Pittsburgh with the lead after two periods.
May 19, 2013, 9:22 PM EDT
Big hit. Appeared clean, too.
May 19, 2013, 9:11 PM EDT
Torres suspended for remainder of semifinal series.
May 19, 2013, 8:53 PM EDT
May 19, 2013, 8:01 PM EDT
Needs to be better for Game 3.
May 19, 2013, 7:31 PM EDT
Lighting it up right now.
May 19, 2013, 6:43 PM EDT
Boston with three unanswered goals.
May 19, 2013, 6:08 PM EDT
Rest of the night didn’t go so well.
May 19, 2013, 5:51 PM EDT
New York trailed 2-0 in first-round series with Washington.
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 2
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 2
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 1
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 30
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 12
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 23
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 33
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot