Jan 11, 2013, 12:52 PM EST
Sounds like Brian Rolston’s prepared to hang up his skates.
The veteran winger told Mike Russo of the Minnesota Star-Tribune he’s “more than likely” to retire in the wake of the NHL lockout.
Rolston, 39, split last season between the Islanders and Bruins — appearing in 70 games while recording 7G-17A-24PTS — but was unable to secure a new deal prior to the CBA expiring on Sept. 15.
Now, he and a handful of other veteran UFAs (Brendan Morrison, Andrew Brunette, Mike Knuble, Dwayne Roloson, etc.) are facing the prospect of becoming lockout casualties — guys that prepared for the work stoppage to end their playing days, but weren’t 100 percent ready to exit the game.
“I’ve had a great career,” Rolston said. “You play for 17 years, I’m very content. At the same time you have that feeling like, ‘Am I really done?’ You’ve been doing it so long, you feel like you have to go back and do something.
“But I’m happy if this is the end of my career. I’ve faced the reality of that.”
Rolston’s career achievements are many. He played in over 1,200 NHL contests and was a four time 30-goal scorer, making the All-Star Team in 2006-07.
Internationally, he represented the U.S. at three Olympic Games — 1994, 2002, 2006 — capturing silver in ’02 at Salt Lake.
His crowning achievement, though, was winning a Stanley Cup in his first year in the NHL (1994-95). Rolston appeared in six playoff games for the Devils, notching an assist in the Cup-clinching victory over Detroit.
Jan 27, 2015, 8:30 PM EST
The 19-year-old underwent hip surgery in November.
Jan 27, 2015, 8:05 PM EST
The Philly starter allowed two goals on the first four shots.
Jan 27, 2015, 7:35 PM EST
Jim Benning was “exploring” a trade for the goaltender.
Jan 27, 2015, 7:00 PM EST
Appeared in 1,260 games.
Jan 27, 2015, 6:30 PM EST
Tampa has won both meetings between the two clubs this season.
Jan 27, 2015, 5:41 PM EST
7:30 p.m. ET, from PNC Arena, on NBCSN.
Jan 27, 2015, 5:06 PM EST
“There’s a potential even to bring him to Arizona for at least a cup of coffee at the end of the year.”
Jan 27, 2015, 4:26 PM EST
For the old barn in Anaheim.
Jan 27, 2015, 3:33 PM EST
He’ll play on the top line with John Tavares and Josh Bailey against the Rangers.
Jan 27, 2015, 3:11 PM EST
Kick off six straight games at Rogers Arena tonight versus Anaheim.
Goalie nods: Greiss starts for Pens, which has nothing to do with Fleury getting lit up at the All-Star Game
Jan 27, 2015, 2:27 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Jan 27, 2015, 2:20 PM EST
“We know what the standings look like. That’s no secret. But we can’t make up all those points this week.”
Jan 27, 2015, 1:38 PM EST
We already knew he tried to use Seattle for the same purpose.
Jan 27, 2015, 1:23 PM EST
And so ends one of the most storied goaltending careers in NHL history.
Jan 27, 2015, 12:56 PM EST
Bill Peters sounds fed up.
Jan 27, 2015, 12:35 PM EST
Defending champs are just 20-15-12 after 47 games.
Jan 27, 2015, 12:28 PM EST
After failing to find a trade partner for the 28-year-old.
Jan 27, 2015, 12:17 PM EST
Your move, Los Angeles.
Jan 27, 2015, 11:47 AM EST
“He wants to build for the long term and he understands that there is some suffering involved.”
Jan 27, 2015, 11:43 AM EST
Bob Murray wants a defenseman, according to pretty much everyone.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 37
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)