Jan 11, 2013, 12:52 PM EST
Sounds like Brian Rolston’s prepared to hang up his skates.
The veteran winger told Mike Russo of the Minnesota Star-Tribune he’s “more than likely” to retire in the wake of the NHL lockout.
Rolston, 39, split last season between the Islanders and Bruins — appearing in 70 games while recording 7G-17A-24PTS — but was unable to secure a new deal prior to the CBA expiring on Sept. 15.
Now, he and a handful of other veteran UFAs (Brendan Morrison, Andrew Brunette, Mike Knuble, Dwayne Roloson, etc.) are facing the prospect of becoming lockout casualties — guys that prepared for the work stoppage to end their playing days, but weren’t 100 percent ready to exit the game.
“I’ve had a great career,” Rolston said. “You play for 17 years, I’m very content. At the same time you have that feeling like, ‘Am I really done?’ You’ve been doing it so long, you feel like you have to go back and do something.
“But I’m happy if this is the end of my career. I’ve faced the reality of that.”
Rolston’s career achievements are many. He played in over 1,200 NHL contests and was a four time 30-goal scorer, making the All-Star Team in 2006-07.
Internationally, he represented the U.S. at three Olympic Games — 1994, 2002, 2006 — capturing silver in ’02 at Salt Lake.
His crowning achievement, though, was winning a Stanley Cup in his first year in the NHL (1994-95). Rolston appeared in six playoff games for the Devils, notching an assist in the Cup-clinching victory over Detroit.
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 17
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)