Jan 11, 2013, 12:52 PM EDT
Sounds like Brian Rolston’s prepared to hang up his skates.
The veteran winger told Mike Russo of the Minnesota Star-Tribune he’s “more than likely” to retire in the wake of the NHL lockout.
Rolston, 39, split last season between the Islanders and Bruins — appearing in 70 games while recording 7G-17A-24PTS — but was unable to secure a new deal prior to the CBA expiring on Sept. 15.
Now, he and a handful of other veteran UFAs (Brendan Morrison, Andrew Brunette, Mike Knuble, Dwayne Roloson, etc.) are facing the prospect of becoming lockout casualties — guys that prepared for the work stoppage to end their playing days, but weren’t 100 percent ready to exit the game.
“I’ve had a great career,” Rolston said. “You play for 17 years, I’m very content. At the same time you have that feeling like, ‘Am I really done?’ You’ve been doing it so long, you feel like you have to go back and do something.
“But I’m happy if this is the end of my career. I’ve faced the reality of that.”
Rolston’s career achievements are many. He played in over 1,200 NHL contests and was a four time 30-goal scorer, making the All-Star Team in 2006-07.
Internationally, he represented the U.S. at three Olympic Games — 1994, 2002, 2006 — capturing silver in ’02 at Salt Lake.
His crowning achievement, though, was winning a Stanley Cup in his first year in the NHL (1994-95). Rolston appeared in six playoff games for the Devils, notching an assist in the Cup-clinching victory over Detroit.
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 3
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 49
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 43
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 55
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal