Jan 11, 2013, 12:52 PM EDT
Sounds like Brian Rolston’s prepared to hang up his skates.
The veteran winger told Mike Russo of the Minnesota Star-Tribune he’s “more than likely” to retire in the wake of the NHL lockout.
Rolston, 39, split last season between the Islanders and Bruins — appearing in 70 games while recording 7G-17A-24PTS — but was unable to secure a new deal prior to the CBA expiring on Sept. 15.
Now, he and a handful of other veteran UFAs (Brendan Morrison, Andrew Brunette, Mike Knuble, Dwayne Roloson, etc.) are facing the prospect of becoming lockout casualties — guys that prepared for the work stoppage to end their playing days, but weren’t 100 percent ready to exit the game.
“I’ve had a great career,” Rolston said. “You play for 17 years, I’m very content. At the same time you have that feeling like, ‘Am I really done?’ You’ve been doing it so long, you feel like you have to go back and do something.
“But I’m happy if this is the end of my career. I’ve faced the reality of that.”
Rolston’s career achievements are many. He played in over 1,200 NHL contests and was a four time 30-goal scorer, making the All-Star Team in 2006-07.
Internationally, he represented the U.S. at three Olympic Games — 1994, 2002, 2006 — capturing silver in ’02 at Salt Lake.
His crowning achievement, though, was winning a Stanley Cup in his first year in the NHL (1994-95). Rolston appeared in six playoff games for the Devils, notching an assist in the Cup-clinching victory over Detroit.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)