Jan 11, 2013, 11:56 AM EDT
Adam Oates will make his Capitals coaching debut on the road.
Oates and the Capitals will reportedly play in Tampa Bay when the NHL season kicks off on Jan. 19, according to the Tampa Bay Times.
The matchup keeps with the “rivalry” theme of opening day/night. These Southeast Division foes have established a healthy feud over the last few years, one that reached its apex when the Lightning swept the Caps out of the 2011 playoffs.
Washington has undergone a series of changes since then, many of them occurring this offseason. Oates was brought in to replace former head coach Dale Hunter and at forward, Alex Semin and Mike Knuble were replaced by Mike Ribeiro and Wojtek Wolski.
Bolts sniper Steve Stamkos was excited to learn he and his teammates would be opening against Washington.
“That will be great,” he said. “It’s a great test for us. It’s a team we’re going to have to battle with if we’re going to make the playoffs. We might as well get them in front of our home fans.”
For all the latest reports on opening night games, click here.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)