Jan 11, 2013, 11:56 AM EDT
Adam Oates will make his Capitals coaching debut on the road.
Oates and the Capitals will reportedly play in Tampa Bay when the NHL season kicks off on Jan. 19, according to the Tampa Bay Times.
The matchup keeps with the “rivalry” theme of opening day/night. These Southeast Division foes have established a healthy feud over the last few years, one that reached its apex when the Lightning swept the Caps out of the 2011 playoffs.
Washington has undergone a series of changes since then, many of them occurring this offseason. Oates was brought in to replace former head coach Dale Hunter and at forward, Alex Semin and Mike Knuble were replaced by Mike Ribeiro and Wojtek Wolski.
Bolts sniper Steve Stamkos was excited to learn he and his teammates would be opening against Washington.
“That will be great,” he said. “It’s a great test for us. It’s a team we’re going to have to battle with if we’re going to make the playoffs. We might as well get them in front of our home fans.”
For all the latest reports on opening night games, click here.
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 11
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 20
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 31
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 41
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)