Jan 11, 2013, 10:11 PM EST
Before the lockout, the New York Rangers were paying Wade Redden to play in the AHL so that they could avoid his $6.5 million annual cap hit. However, that dodge will no longer be available to them in the new CBA and Redden is signed through the 2013-14 campaign.
He put up great offensive numbers in the minors in 2010-11 and 2011-12, but the Rangers have no intention of giving him a chance to play with their squad. The Canadian blueliner won’t even be invited to training camp, according to the New York Post’s Larry Brooks.
Instead, Redden’s agent, Don Meehan, has been given the green light to talk to other teams about his client. While dealing the aging defenseman never seemed like a viable option in the past, they will be able to retain some of his cap hit and salary in a trade under the new CBA, which might be enough to convince some team to take a chance on him.
If that doesn’t work out, the Rangers will probably opt to use one of their amnesty buyouts on him over the summer.
Redden surpassed the 40-point mark four times with the Ottawa Senators during the prime of his career, but his tenure with the Rangers has been a disaster and he’s now far removed from his glory days.
Dec 22, 2013, 1:08 AM EST
Not the greatest night for Ilya Bryzgalov & Co.
Dec 22, 2013, 12:44 AM EST
Sounds like he took a puck to the face.
Dec 21, 2013, 11:42 PM EST
They had lost 11 in a row, including six this season.
Dec 21, 2013, 10:48 PM EST
They’ve won a franchise-best eight games in a row.
Dec 21, 2013, 10:15 PM EST
He notched No. 694, moving to a tie for seventh.
Dec 21, 2013, 9:09 PM EST
A tall order, if you will.
Dec 21, 2013, 8:26 PM EST
Brutal luck for the winger, Columbus and Slovakia.
Dec 21, 2013, 8:04 PM EST
He was able to skate off with some help from a trainer.
Dec 21, 2013, 7:34 PM EST
Los Angeles took a 3-2 shootout win vs. Colorado on Saturday.
Dec 21, 2013, 7:11 PM EST
Hey, the Islanders get a break.
Dec 21, 2013, 6:53 PM EST
The 51-year-old Washington Capitals coach faces former peers Saturday.
Dec 21, 2013, 6:33 PM EST
He suffered a concussion against Ottawa on Monday.
Dec 21, 2013, 5:42 PM EST
He wants to be a number one goalie, even if it’s not with Washington.
Dec 21, 2013, 5:15 PM EST
It was against the team that drafted him, the Ottawa Senators.
Dec 21, 2013, 4:25 PM EST
He has an upper-body injury.
Dec 21, 2013, 3:58 PM EST
Curtis Glencross and Kris Russell are both sidelined.
Dec 21, 2013, 3:35 PM EST
No decision has been made though.
Dec 21, 2013, 3:06 PM EST
He’ll miss at least a month.
Dec 21, 2013, 2:44 PM EST
He has allowed 10 goals in his last three games.
Dec 21, 2013, 2:09 PM EST
He’s already missed roughly a month this season due to knee problems.
- Marian Gaborik suffers broken collarbone in return to action 8
- Martin Jones improves to 8-0-0, ties NHL record 18
- Vermette gets hat trick, including late tying goal, OT winner 2
- GM Wilson: It’s too early to tell if Hertl’s season is done 26
- A month later, Martin Erat still wants to be traded 11
- Devils lose Brunner for at least four weeks 0
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 16
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 37
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 7
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (108)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (104)
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ (72)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)
- Video: Marchand taunts Canucks with championship miming (69)