Jan 11, 2013, 10:11 PM EDT
Before the lockout, the New York Rangers were paying Wade Redden to play in the AHL so that they could avoid his $6.5 million annual cap hit. However, that dodge will no longer be available to them in the new CBA and Redden is signed through the 2013-14 campaign.
He put up great offensive numbers in the minors in 2010-11 and 2011-12, but the Rangers have no intention of giving him a chance to play with their squad. The Canadian blueliner won’t even be invited to training camp, according to the New York Post’s Larry Brooks.
Instead, Redden’s agent, Don Meehan, has been given the green light to talk to other teams about his client. While dealing the aging defenseman never seemed like a viable option in the past, they will be able to retain some of his cap hit and salary in a trade under the new CBA, which might be enough to convince some team to take a chance on him.
If that doesn’t work out, the Rangers will probably opt to use one of their amnesty buyouts on him over the summer.
Redden surpassed the 40-point mark four times with the Ottawa Senators during the prime of his career, but his tenure with the Rangers has been a disaster and he’s now far removed from his glory days.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)