Jan 11, 2013, 12:29 PM EDT
Feel free to relax, Capitals fans — Nicklas Backstrom doesn’t have a concussion and expects to be in Washington’s lineup when the season starts.
Backstrom confirmed he visited a concussion specialist this week, but it turns out it was “more the neck, a stiff neck.”
The 25-year-old suffered the neck injury (if you can call a stiff neck an injury) when he was checked into the boards on Dec. 26 in a KHL game.
“I feel good, a hundred percent,” Backstrom said Friday, as per CSNWashington.com. “I know there’s a lot of speculation about what’s going on but it’s something I wanted to check out. It’s no concussion. We can all be calm.”
Backstrom missed 40 games with a concussion last season, thus all the speculation.
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 0
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 2
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 10
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 26
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 12
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 68
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination