Jan 11, 2013, 11:34 PM EDT
It’s entirely possible that Roberto Luongo‘s tenure with Vancouver will end in mere days, but if Canucks GM Mike Gillis can’t get the price he wants for the all-star goaltender, that’s fine with Luongo.
“I told (Gillis) I was ready to go as long as it took,” said Luongo in a Sportsnet report. “Whether it’s a couple days, next week, two weeks, at the end of the season, it’s totally fine with me.”
Back in May, Luongo thought he would have been traded before the start of the Vancouver Canucks’ training camp, especially given the commitment they made to netminder Cory Schneider when they signed him to a three-year, $12 million deal. Still, at the age of 33 he feels comfortable in Vancouver.
“I’ve matured in the sense where I can handle adversity than I did back then,” said Luongo. “That’s why I’ve been really calm about the whole situation. I’ve been able to enjoy it, even though it’s not an easy situation.”
For his part, Canucks coach Alain Vigneault said he’s “very fortunate to have” Luongo, although he wouldn’t name either goaltender as his starter.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 35
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (35)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)