Jan 11, 2013, 11:34 PM EST
It’s entirely possible that Roberto Luongo‘s tenure with Vancouver will end in mere days, but if Canucks GM Mike Gillis can’t get the price he wants for the all-star goaltender, that’s fine with Luongo.
“I told (Gillis) I was ready to go as long as it took,” said Luongo in a Sportsnet report. “Whether it’s a couple days, next week, two weeks, at the end of the season, it’s totally fine with me.”
Back in May, Luongo thought he would have been traded before the start of the Vancouver Canucks’ training camp, especially given the commitment they made to netminder Cory Schneider when they signed him to a three-year, $12 million deal. Still, at the age of 33 he feels comfortable in Vancouver.
“I’ve matured in the sense where I can handle adversity than I did back then,” said Luongo. “That’s why I’ve been really calm about the whole situation. I’ve been able to enjoy it, even though it’s not an easy situation.”
For his part, Canucks coach Alain Vigneault said he’s “very fortunate to have” Luongo, although he wouldn’t name either goaltender as his starter.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)