“I was floored, and I still am stunned,” says Burke on firing

Jan 11, 2013, 1:46 PM EDT

Brian Burke AP

Like most observers, Brian Burke was shocked when he learned that he’d been fired as general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

“I was floored, and I still am stunned. I’ve never been fired before,” Burke told the Toronto Star in his first interview since being relieved of his duties on Wednesday. “How am I doing? I’m doing okay.

Despite the shock, Burke had nothing but good things to say about his experience in charge of the Leafs.

“I’m so grateful I had a chance to run the crown jewel franchise of the NHL,” he said. “I’m grateful to have been given the chance to live in Toronto. I love this city and I am grateful for the support of the fans.”

What Burke didn’t provide (on the record, at least) were his thoughts on the people that fired him.

On Wednesday, MLSE president and CEO Tom Anselmi said the move was “more about tone and the voice of leadership than changing gears and going in a different direction.”

It’s since been reported that Bell CEO George Cope (Bell and Rogers own 75 percent of MLSE) was Burke’s main detractor.

Related: Burke era in Toronto: Trades, truculence and tirades

Latest Posts
  1. Ducks feel ‘very comfortable’ with rookie Andersen in net, says Boudreau

Apr 16, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT

Anze Kopitar, Frederik Andersen AP

“He gives us the best chance to win, so he’ll be the one starting.”

2. Staal, Ward say they want to stay in Carolina

Apr 16, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT

WardStaal Getty Images

But both acknowledge they’ve heard the rumblings.

3. Sabre rattling: Buffalo overhauls Nolan’s coaching staff

Apr 16, 2014, 2:17 PM EDT

tednolan2ap AP

Sacco, Forton, Numminen and Corsi are out.

4. Pressing question: Could this be the year of the upset?

Apr 16, 2014, 2:05 PM EDT

Gustav Nyquist, Tuukka Rask AP

Top seeds don’t have it easy in the first round.

5. Belov bolts Edmonton, signs in KHL

Apr 16, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT

Anton Belov Getty Images

Spent one season with the Oilers, now off to SKA St. Petersburg.

6. After 12-game absence, Prust back for Habs

Apr 16, 2014, 12:53 PM EDT

Brandon Prust Getty Images

He’ll dress for the series opener against Tampa Bay tonight.

7. Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers

Apr 16, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT

Philadelphia Flyers goalie Ray Emery deflects the puck over his head during the first period of an NHL hockey game against the Calgary Flames, Saturday, Feb. 8, 2014, in Philadelphia. (AP Photo/Tom Mihalek) AP

Steve Mason is “out.”

8. Get your game notes: Jackets at Penguins

Apr 16, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT

Penguins Blue Jackets Hockey AP

Pittsburgh won all five meetings between the teams during the regular season.

9. Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup

Apr 16, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT

Sidney Crosby, Zdeno Chara AP

Prove us wrong, all 16 teams. Prove…us…wrong.

10. Lightning’s Filppula, Palat expected to return for Game 1

Apr 16, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT

Ondrej Palat, Valtteri Filppula Ondrej Palat, Valtteri Filppula

Tampa Bay’s top-six would have been in trouble without them.

11. Fleury’s true comeback bid starts tonight

Apr 16, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT

Marc-Andre Fleury Marc-Andre Fleury

His solid regular season will be overshadowed by whatever he does in the playoffs.

12. 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks

Apr 16, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT

StanleyCupPlayoffs14

Add yours in the comments section.

Are Penguins vulnerable vs. Columbus?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches