“I was floored, and I still am stunned,” says Burke on firing

Jan 11, 2013, 1:46 PM EST

Brian Burke AP

Like most observers, Brian Burke was shocked when he learned that he’d been fired as general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

“I was floored, and I still am stunned. I’ve never been fired before,” Burke told the Toronto Star in his first interview since being relieved of his duties on Wednesday. “How am I doing? I’m doing okay.

Despite the shock, Burke had nothing but good things to say about his experience in charge of the Leafs.

“I’m so grateful I had a chance to run the crown jewel franchise of the NHL,” he said. “I’m grateful to have been given the chance to live in Toronto. I love this city and I am grateful for the support of the fans.”

What Burke didn’t provide (on the record, at least) were his thoughts on the people that fired him.

On Wednesday, MLSE president and CEO Tom Anselmi said the move was “more about tone and the voice of leadership than changing gears and going in a different direction.”

It’s since been reported that Bell CEO George Cope (Bell and Rogers own 75 percent of MLSE) was Burke’s main detractor.

Related: Burke era in Toronto: Trades, truculence and tirades

Latest Posts
  1. Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss

Feb 28, 2015, 8:24 PM EST

Zdeno Chara, Milan Lucic AP

Arizona is threatening to drop to 29th in the NHL, which would be big as far as the draft lottery is concerned.

2. WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Flyers (8:00 p.m. ET)

Feb 28, 2015, 7:51 PM EST

Wayne Simmonds, Ryan McDonagh AP

Philadelphia is trying to salvage its bid for a playoff spot.

3. Sabres’ Chris Stewart is eager to play postseason hockey

Feb 28, 2015, 7:37 PM EST

Chris Stewart Getty Images

A recent report suggests that Boston is interested.

4. Red Wings beat NHL-leading Preds to end successful Western road trip

Feb 28, 2015, 6:02 PM EST

Alexei Marchenko, Justin Abdelkader AP

Alexey Marchenko scored his first career goal.

5. Five on waivers as trade deadline looms

Feb 28, 2015, 5:34 PM EST

Rob Zepp Getty Images

That gives some teams extra roster flexibility.

6. Agent: Blackhawks have ‘no intention’ of trading Sharp

Feb 28, 2015, 4:15 PM EST

Patrick Sharp Patrick Sharp

He’s been the subject of trade rumors lately.

7. Goalie Nods: Mason returns for the Flyers

Feb 28, 2015, 3:35 PM EST

Steve Mason AP

News and notes from around the blue paint…

8. Trade: Ducks acquire Fleischmann from the Panthers for Heatley and a pick

Feb 28, 2015, 2:07 PM EST

TomasFleischmann Getty Images

The former Caps’ forward reunited with Bruce Boudreau.

9. Trade: Capitals acquire Gleason from the Canes for Hillen and a pick

Feb 28, 2015, 12:27 PM EST

TimGleason Getty Images

Both are unrestricted free agents after this season.

10. Report: Rangers are shopping Zuccarello

Feb 28, 2015, 12:00 PM EST

Mats Zuccarello Getty Images

He’s an unrestricted free agent after this season.

11. Clarkson set to debut on Jackets’ top line

Feb 28, 2015, 11:15 AM EST

Toronto Maple Leafs v New York Islanders Getty Images

Was acquired Thursday from Toronto.

12. Halak sets Islanders single-season record in win over Flames

Feb 27, 2015, 10:34 PM EST

Halak Getty Images

Meanwhile, Calgary’s playoff hopes take another hit.

Trade deadline storylines to watch
Top 10 NHL Player Searches