Jan 11, 2013, 1:46 PM EST
Like most observers, Brian Burke was shocked when he learned that he’d been fired as general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs.
“I was floored, and I still am stunned. I’ve never been fired before,” Burke told the Toronto Star in his first interview since being relieved of his duties on Wednesday. “How am I doing? I’m doing okay.
Despite the shock, Burke had nothing but good things to say about his experience in charge of the Leafs.
“I’m so grateful I had a chance to run the crown jewel franchise of the NHL,” he said. “I’m grateful to have been given the chance to live in Toronto. I love this city and I am grateful for the support of the fans.”
What Burke didn’t provide (on the record, at least) were his thoughts on the people that fired him.
On Wednesday, MLSE president and CEO Tom Anselmi said the move was “more about tone and the voice of leadership than changing gears and going in a different direction.”
It’s since been reported that Bell CEO George Cope (Bell and Rogers own 75 percent of MLSE) was Burke’s main detractor.
Dec 6, 2013, 6:31 PM EST
Meanwhile, Bryan Bickell might resume skating next week.
Dec 6, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
A roster shuffle is expected.
Dec 6, 2013, 5:13 PM EST
Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane like where this is going.
Dec 6, 2013, 4:28 PM EST
In which we ask the question, does Team Canada need a player like Milan Lucic?
Dec 6, 2013, 3:37 PM EST
Tough break for the Swedish defenseman.
Dec 6, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
“I’m sure after a little while I won’t even notice it.”
Dec 6, 2013, 2:47 PM EST
Veteran defenseman enjoyed his best years in Colorado.
Dec 6, 2013, 2:36 PM EST
Boston blueliner was hurt vs. Montreal last night.
Dec 6, 2013, 2:18 PM EST
Was fired by the Flyers earlier this season.
Dec 6, 2013, 1:41 PM EST
Chicago gets Brandon Mashinter in return.
Dec 6, 2013, 1:37 PM EST
If he’s going to re-sign with the Sabres, he wants to see “actions” from management.
Dec 6, 2013, 1:33 PM EST
Incident saw the Boston defenseman stretchered off the ice Thursday.
Dec 6, 2013, 1:20 PM EST
Second veteran defenseman they’ve waived this season.
Dec 6, 2013, 1:03 PM EST
Vancouver hosts the Coyotes tonight and the Avs Sunday.
Dec 6, 2013, 12:57 PM EST
So. Many. Injuries.
Dec 6, 2013, 12:13 PM EST
“Felt like we could have had five,” said Joe Pavelski.
Dec 6, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
Won’t face Dallas on Saturday.
Dec 6, 2013, 11:45 AM EST
They blew away the Avs by six goals last night.
Dec 6, 2013, 11:26 AM EST
Tough times for the Swiss forward.
Dec 6, 2013, 10:49 AM EST
Could be the plan.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 4
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 14
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 46
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)