“I was floored, and I still am stunned,” says Burke on firing

Jan 11, 2013, 1:46 PM EDT

Brian Burke AP

Like most observers, Brian Burke was shocked when he learned that he’d been fired as general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

“I was floored, and I still am stunned. I’ve never been fired before,” Burke told the Toronto Star in his first interview since being relieved of his duties on Wednesday. “How am I doing? I’m doing okay.

Despite the shock, Burke had nothing but good things to say about his experience in charge of the Leafs.

“I’m so grateful I had a chance to run the crown jewel franchise of the NHL,” he said. “I’m grateful to have been given the chance to live in Toronto. I love this city and I am grateful for the support of the fans.”

What Burke didn’t provide (on the record, at least) were his thoughts on the people that fired him.

On Wednesday, MLSE president and CEO Tom Anselmi said the move was “more about tone and the voice of leadership than changing gears and going in a different direction.”

It’s since been reported that Bell CEO George Cope (Bell and Rogers own 75 percent of MLSE) was Burke’s main detractor.

Related: Burke era in Toronto: Trades, truculence and tirades

Latest Posts
  1. NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton

Sep 30, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT

tkachevvlad Getty Images

Updated with GM Craig MacTavish’s comments.

2. Sabres expect Kaleta to miss about one month

Sep 30, 2014, 9:10 PM EDT

Toronto Maple Leafs V Buffalo Sabres Getty Images

Buffalo was fearing a broken jaw, which would be even worse.

3. NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale

Sep 30, 2014, 7:27 PM EDT

islanderslogo

It looks like the transition from Charles Wang’s ownership will ramp up soon.

4. Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’

Sep 30, 2014, 7:13 PM EDT

Columbus Blue Jackets  v Pittsburgh Penguins - Game Two Getty Images

What a difference injuries and a nearing regular season makes …

5. Drouin’s goal is to return for Lightning opener

Sep 30, 2014, 6:40 PM EDT

Lightning Camp Hockey AP

He says the “progress has been really good.”

6. Risk Factors: Toronto Maple Leafs edition

Sep 30, 2014, 5:28 PM EDT

Randy Carlyle Getty Images

Will this be another season to forget for Toronto?

7. Babcock was raving about Smith’s performance versus Leafs

Sep 30, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT

Brendan Smith AP

Called him “the best defenseman on the ice.”

8. Caps still haven’t identified their 2C

Sep 30, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT

Brooks Laich Getty Images

“We’ve got three games left here, so we really need to finalize what we’re going to do.”

9. Spezza wants to ‘get comfortable’ before talking contract with Stars

Sep 30, 2014, 2:28 PM EDT

Florida Panthers v Dallas Stars Getty Images

“I’m not naive, I know as the season goes on it’ll become more of a talking point.”

10. Jets get good news on eye injuries to Cormier, Galiardi

Sep 30, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT

Patrice Cormier Patrice Cormier

Looks like both have avoided serious damage.

11. Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight

Sep 30, 2014, 11:57 AM EDT

claudegirouxcgetty Getty Images

Flyers captain will make preseason debut at Wells Fargo.

12. Devils release Fedotenko and Kaberle from tryouts

Sep 30, 2014, 11:46 AM EDT

New Jersey Devils v New York Islanders Getty Images

Could either catch on with another team?

13. Risk Factors: New York Rangers edition

Sep 30, 2014, 11:09 AM EDT

Montreal Canadiens v New York Rangers - Game Four Getty Images

Defending Eastern Conference champs had some major turnover this summer.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches