“I was floored, and I still am stunned,” says Burke on firing

Jan 11, 2013, 1:46 PM EST

Brian Burke AP

Like most observers, Brian Burke was shocked when he learned that he’d been fired as general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

“I was floored, and I still am stunned. I’ve never been fired before,” Burke told the Toronto Star in his first interview since being relieved of his duties on Wednesday. “How am I doing? I’m doing okay.

Despite the shock, Burke had nothing but good things to say about his experience in charge of the Leafs.

“I’m so grateful I had a chance to run the crown jewel franchise of the NHL,” he said. “I’m grateful to have been given the chance to live in Toronto. I love this city and I am grateful for the support of the fans.”

What Burke didn’t provide (on the record, at least) were his thoughts on the people that fired him.

On Wednesday, MLSE president and CEO Tom Anselmi said the move was “more about tone and the voice of leadership than changing gears and going in a different direction.”

It’s since been reported that Bell CEO George Cope (Bell and Rogers own 75 percent of MLSE) was Burke’s main detractor.

Related: Burke era in Toronto: Trades, truculence and tirades

Latest Posts
  1. Video: Oilers awarded a penalty shot in overtime

Nov 27, 2014, 10:50 PM EST

Jordan Eberle Getty Images

Shea Weber covered the puck in the crease.

2. Hextall: ‘My biggest concern is consistency’

Nov 27, 2014, 10:35 PM EST

2013 NHL Draft Getty Images

Flyers play host to the Rangers Friday afternoon.

3. Report: Kontiola joins KHL club Lokomotiv

Nov 27, 2014, 7:30 PM EST

Petri Kontiola Getty Images

Struggled in the American Hockey League this season.

4. Sens confirm Alfredsson to be honored Dec. 4

Nov 27, 2014, 6:30 PM EST

Daniel Alfredsson AP

Expected to formally announce his retirement next Thursday morning.

5. Coyotes ‘hope we can make a deal’ with trade target Vermette

Nov 27, 2014, 5:15 PM EST

Antoine Vermette

Talented center would be a prized pickup at the deadline.

6. Remparts sold to Quebecor, will move to new Quebec City arena

Nov 27, 2014, 4:00 PM EST

Quebec Remparts v Drummondville Voltigeurs Getty Images

Patrick Roy doesn’t own part of a junior team anymore.

7. Lowry suspended one game for boarding Kaleta

Nov 27, 2014, 2:41 PM EST

Lowry-Kaleta

Incident occurred during Wednesday’s Jets-Sabres game.

8. Canucks’ Kassian out a ‘few weeks’ with finger injury

Nov 27, 2014, 2:27 PM EST

zackkassiangetty Getty Images

Linden Vey gets back into the lineup for tomorrow’s game in Columbus.

9. Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit

Nov 27, 2014, 2:12 PM EST

GarbuttHallKnee

Dallas forward has history as a repeat offender.

10. Not so big and bad anymore, the Bruins would like to add some ‘heaviness’

Nov 27, 2014, 2:03 PM EST

Toronto Maple Leafs v Boston Bruins - Game Two Getty Images

That’s a picture of Shawn Thornton, who doesn’t play for them anymore.

11. After ‘disappointing’ road trip, is DeBoer on the hot seat?

Nov 27, 2014, 1:16 PM EST

Peter DeBoer AP

Devils currently sit 12th in the Eastern Conference.

12. Flyers waive Akeson

Nov 27, 2014, 12:29 PM EST

Columbus Blue Jackets v Philadelphia Flyers Getty Images

Played in 14 games over parts of the last three seasons.

13. Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds

Nov 27, 2014, 12:17 PM EST

Justin Schultz AP

Following Tuesday’s “mind-numbing” change in Dallas.

14. After 21-game absence, Fisher (ruptured Achilles) back for Preds

Nov 27, 2014, 12:02 PM EST

Mike Fisher Getty Images

Big boost for Nashville, who hosts Edmonton tonight.

Eakins on his way out of Edmonton?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches