“I was floored, and I still am stunned,” says Burke on firing

Jan 11, 2013, 1:46 PM EDT

Brian Burke AP

Like most observers, Brian Burke was shocked when he learned that he’d been fired as general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

“I was floored, and I still am stunned. I’ve never been fired before,” Burke told the Toronto Star in his first interview since being relieved of his duties on Wednesday. “How am I doing? I’m doing okay.

Despite the shock, Burke had nothing but good things to say about his experience in charge of the Leafs.

“I’m so grateful I had a chance to run the crown jewel franchise of the NHL,” he said. “I’m grateful to have been given the chance to live in Toronto. I love this city and I am grateful for the support of the fans.”

What Burke didn’t provide (on the record, at least) were his thoughts on the people that fired him.

On Wednesday, MLSE president and CEO Tom Anselmi said the move was “more about tone and the voice of leadership than changing gears and going in a different direction.”

It’s since been reported that Bell CEO George Cope (Bell and Rogers own 75 percent of MLSE) was Burke’s main detractor.

Related: Burke era in Toronto: Trades, truculence and tirades

Latest Posts
  1. Avs hope to learn from ‘nightmare’ playoff finish

Jul 24, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Minnesota Wild v Colorado Avalanche - Game Seven Getty Images

“Maybe it just wasn’t our time yet,” Patrick Roy said.

2. PHT Morning Skate: What to do with Niemi?

Jul 24, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Antti Niemi AP

Thursday’s assortment of links.

3. Babcock on analytics: ‘I love the information’

Jul 23, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT

mikebabcockgetty Getty Images

Makes sense for a franchise that frequently favors puck possession.

4. Florida phases out ‘Lady Panthers’

Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT

Pittsburgh Penguins v Florida Panthers Getty Images

They’ll feature a “skating-only” ice crew next season.

5. Video: EA teases what’s new in NHL 15

Jul 23, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT

eanhl15screen

Will their latest physics improvements make a big difference?

6. Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016

Jul 23, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT

James Reimer, Mark Fraser, Steven Stamkos AP

“We’ll see what happens. It’s a couple years away.”

7. Sakic says there was ‘never any animosity’ between Avs and O’Reilly

Jul 23, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT

Joe Sakic AP

“Any of the perceived animosity came from the outside.”

8. Jacques Martin is now Pittsburgh’s senior advisor of hockey operations

Jul 23, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT

Jacques Martin, Dan Bylsma, Sidney Crosby, James Neal, Chris Kunitz AP

His previously “yet-to-be-determined capacity” has been determined.

9. Fayne looking forward to defending the ‘bigger guys’ in West

Jul 23, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT

Mark Fayne, Mark Letestu AP

“My style and build might be better against the bigger guys.”

10. Ex-NHLer Paek to coach Korea, with goal of participating in 2018 Olympics

Jul 23, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT

Detroit Red Wings 2007 Headshots Getty Images

Won a couple of Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins.

11. Sabres sign d-man Benoit — one year, $800,000

Jul 23, 2014, 10:48 AM EDT

Colorado Avalanche v San Jose Sharks Getty Images

Had seven goals with 21 assists last year for the Avs.

12. Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain

Jul 23, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT

Colorado Avalanche v Ottawa Senators Getty Images

The 23-year-old can now become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2016.

13. New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now)

Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Alex Ovechkin, Victor Hedman AP

Barry Trotz continues Adam Oates’ alteration, at least for now.

14. Stars consider Roussel a ‘big part’ of their team

Jul 22, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT

Jaden Schwartz, Antoine Roussel AP

They locked him up to a four-year deal on Tuesday.

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches