“I was floored, and I still am stunned,” says Burke on firing

Jan 11, 2013, 1:46 PM EDT

Brian Burke AP

Like most observers, Brian Burke was shocked when he learned that he’d been fired as general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

“I was floored, and I still am stunned. I’ve never been fired before,” Burke told the Toronto Star in his first interview since being relieved of his duties on Wednesday. “How am I doing? I’m doing okay.

Despite the shock, Burke had nothing but good things to say about his experience in charge of the Leafs.

“I’m so grateful I had a chance to run the crown jewel franchise of the NHL,” he said. “I’m grateful to have been given the chance to live in Toronto. I love this city and I am grateful for the support of the fans.”

What Burke didn’t provide (on the record, at least) were his thoughts on the people that fired him.

On Wednesday, MLSE president and CEO Tom Anselmi said the move was “more about tone and the voice of leadership than changing gears and going in a different direction.”

It’s since been reported that Bell CEO George Cope (Bell and Rogers own 75 percent of MLSE) was Burke’s main detractor.

Related: Burke era in Toronto: Trades, truculence and tirades

Latest Posts
  1. Oilers prospect Draisaitl helps lead Kelowna over Rimouski in Memorial Cup

May 25, 2015, 10:57 PM EDT

Leon Draisaitl Getty Images

Maple Leafs prospect Frederik Gauthier had a big game too.

2. Video: Getzlaf ties Ducks’ playoff points record

May 25, 2015, 10:11 PM EDT

Vatanen goal

The first period was all Anaheim.

3. Video: Ducks score twice in 32 seconds early in first period

May 25, 2015, 9:42 PM EDT

Kesler goal

The Ducks got off to an ideal start.

4. Report: Andrei Kostitsyn interested in returning to NHL

May 25, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT

Belarus v Slovenia - 2015 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship Getty Images

He was linked to Nashville’s playoff curfew incident.

5. Mrazek knows ‘only one goalie can play’ as battle with Howard awaits

May 25, 2015, 5:43 PM EDT

Florida Panthers v Detroit Red Wings Getty Images

There’s going to be a fight for the No. 1 gig in Detroit.

6. Graham James reportedly facing new charge of sexual assault

May 25, 2015, 4:41 PM EDT

Graham James AP

Reports out of Swift Current, Saskatchewan.

7. In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’

May 25, 2015, 3:31 PM EDT

Antoine Vermette, Frederik Andersen AP

“One bounce here or there, it’s a different story.”

8. Leafs sign Carrick to one-year extension

May 25, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT

J.T. Brown; Sam Carrick J.T. Brown; Sam Carrick

Made his NHL debut last season, appearing in 16 games.

9. Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract

May 25, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT

Tampa Bay Lightning v New York Rangers - Game Five Getty Images

He’s eligible to sign an extension this summer.

10. Swiss league ‘perfect training ground’ for Matthews, says coach Crawford

May 25, 2015, 12:54 PM EDT

Marc Crawford Getty Images

“Everyone involved with the ZSC Lions is so excited about seeing him play in Zurich.”

11. Canucks have a puzzle to solve on the blue line

May 25, 2015, 12:44 PM EDT

Edmonton Oilers v Vancouver Canucks Getty Images

This won’t quell the Kevin Bieksa trade speculation.

12. Bolts ‘looking for a guy who plays my way,’ says prospect Erne

May 25, 2015, 12:31 PM EDT

Adam Erne Getty Images

“A bigger guy, playing a power forward role.”

Babcock has his work cut out in Toronto
Top 10 NHL Player Searches