Jan 11, 2013, 2:51 PM EDT
Corey Crawford started the 2011-12 season with two things: a new $8 million contract and positive momentum from an impressive playoff performance.
The 28-year-old still has the contract, but the positive momentum is gone after a challenging second year as the Blackhawks’ starting goalie.
“I feel like I need to kind of redeem myself a little bit,” Crawford said Friday, per the Chicago Tribune. “I’ve been waiting and waiting and waiting and finally it’s here so I’m getting excited and ready to go.”
In July, ‘Hawks coach Joel Quenneville said he expected Crawford to bounce back.
“I’m very comfortable and confident with Corey,” Quenneville said. “You look at the history of goaltenders around the league…there is a little bit of a bounce factor in that second year. A number of top goalies have had that career path. We anticipate Corey getting right back on track.”
The Blackhawks could certainly help their goaltenders by playing better in front of them.
Said GM Stan Bowman after his team failed to advance past the first round of the playoffs: “Our goaltending in general was not our strength this year. [But] I don’t think it’s fair to lay the blame on Crawford. You win as a team and you lose as a team. We need to be stronger defensively and that includes our team commitment to defense, not simply the goaltender and not simply the defensemen. It’s really a team concept.”
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 54
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 21
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 22
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- LIVE: Stanley Cup Final Game 4 pregame show
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming