Jan 11, 2013, 7:04 PM EDT
Erik Cole is 34 years old, coming off of a 61-point season and is signed with the Montreal Canadiens through the 2014-15 campaign. All the same, he might hang up his skates this summer, according to the Montreal Gazette.
“I enjoyed my time at home and the kids are in school here until the end of June and we’ll reevaluate things after that,” said Cole, referring to the extra time he spent with his family during the lockout.
Cole is not thrilled about some of the financial concessions the players made compared to the previous CBA and that appears to be a key consideration as he ponders his future.
“I want to have a conversation with the (players association) about some of the escrow stuff and some of the fearsome things in the new CBA,” Cole said.
“Family-wise it’s a transition year with my daughter in school next year and I think it’s something to be considered and everybody should consider this when they look at the new CBA, not just the way it affects the group but how it affects you individually.”
Before the lockout began, Cole was set to make $4 million this season. He is scheduled to make another $4 million in each of 2013-14 and 2014-15, but because his contract was frontloaded, his cap hit is $4.5 million.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 17
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)