Jan 11, 2013, 7:04 PM EDT
Erik Cole is 34 years old, coming off of a 61-point season and is signed with the Montreal Canadiens through the 2014-15 campaign. All the same, he might hang up his skates this summer, according to the Montreal Gazette.
“I enjoyed my time at home and the kids are in school here until the end of June and we’ll reevaluate things after that,” said Cole, referring to the extra time he spent with his family during the lockout.
Cole is not thrilled about some of the financial concessions the players made compared to the previous CBA and that appears to be a key consideration as he ponders his future.
“I want to have a conversation with the (players association) about some of the escrow stuff and some of the fearsome things in the new CBA,” Cole said.
“Family-wise it’s a transition year with my daughter in school next year and I think it’s something to be considered and everybody should consider this when they look at the new CBA, not just the way it affects the group but how it affects you individually.”
Before the lockout began, Cole was set to make $4 million this season. He is scheduled to make another $4 million in each of 2013-14 and 2014-15, but because his contract was frontloaded, his cap hit is $4.5 million.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)