Jan 11, 2013, 7:04 PM EDT
Erik Cole is 34 years old, coming off of a 61-point season and is signed with the Montreal Canadiens through the 2014-15 campaign. All the same, he might hang up his skates this summer, according to the Montreal Gazette.
“I enjoyed my time at home and the kids are in school here until the end of June and we’ll reevaluate things after that,” said Cole, referring to the extra time he spent with his family during the lockout.
Cole is not thrilled about some of the financial concessions the players made compared to the previous CBA and that appears to be a key consideration as he ponders his future.
“I want to have a conversation with the (players association) about some of the escrow stuff and some of the fearsome things in the new CBA,” Cole said.
“Family-wise it’s a transition year with my daughter in school next year and I think it’s something to be considered and everybody should consider this when they look at the new CBA, not just the way it affects the group but how it affects you individually.”
Before the lockout began, Cole was set to make $4 million this season. He is scheduled to make another $4 million in each of 2013-14 and 2014-15, but because his contract was frontloaded, his cap hit is $4.5 million.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 71
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 54
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 34
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)