Jan 11, 2013, 3:09 PM EDT
That was the story out of Washington on Friday as the two Capitals teammates — who engaged in some verbal jousting during the lockout — said all was good between them.
“He’s still my friend, he’s still my teammate,” Brouwer told the Washington Times. “We came in, we had a good chat today.”
“He’s one of the best guys on the team,” Hamrlik added. “He’s a great teammate. We talked and we chat on the phone. And it’s no problem.”
The feud began in late November when Hamrlik told a Czech media outlet he was “disgusted” with union boss Donald Fehr, and that Fehr should be fired if the season got canceled.
Those comments made Hamrlik the first NHLPA member to break ranks (though Caps goalie Michal Neuvirth would soon join him.)
Unsurprisingly, they drew the ire of many fellow union members — including Brouwer, the Capitals’ alternate NHLPA team rep.
“For me, I think those guys selling us out, being selfish like that and making those comments…” he said. “Me being on their team, how am I going to trust them as a teammate from now on?
“Because you know they’re not going to support players in the big scheme of things when you go and you play on the team with them; it’s going to be tough to want to back those guys from now on.”
It now appears as though Brouwer 1) has amnesia, or 2) realizes he might’ve gone a tad over the top in criticizing his teammates.
“You can’t hold grudges and you cant have little high school grudge matches against each other,” Brouwer said. “It’s in the past, we aren’t worried about it anymore and we’re looking forward.
“We’re excited about this season and we have to play on the same team and we like where our team is right now.”
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 5
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 19
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)